Assistant County Administrator:
Alphonso Jefferson, Jr.
Office of the County Administrator
Alphonso Jefferson, Jr., joined the staff at Broward County in April 2012 as Assistant to the County Administrator.
He has over 20 years of experience in private and government agencies with the responsibility in administration, intergovernmental affairs, finance, logistics, budgeting, human resources, strategic planning and management, performance management and capital planning. Throughout his career, Jefferson has served in roles with Public Works, Growth and Environment Management, Finance, Procurement, Animal Services, Building and Zoning, Construction, Judicial System, Housing and Community Development.
Jefferson comes to Broward County from Brevard County where he served as the Budget Office director. In that capacity, he provided leadership and direction in strategic management, capital planning, budget and financial management of a $1.2 billion county governmental entity that is the 10th largest in the State of Florida in support of a 2,700 employee operation.
Prior to that, he was with Orange County, Florida for 14 years where he served as an administrator for the Orange County Clerk of Courts, assistant to the director of Orange County’s Growth Management Department, Public Works Administrator and CIP Coordinator/Senior Management and Budget Analyst in the Budget Office. In Orange County, his responsibility included managing resources of $40 million to $1.7 billion in support of 500 to 9,000 employee operation.
His professional experience also includes teaching online as a faculty member for the University of Phoenix, Phoenix, Arizona and Valencia Enterprises in Orlando, Florida. Jefferson is a retired Supply/Logistic Officer-Lieutenant from the United States Naval Reserves.
Primarily Responsible For:
Assisting in the general management of County government, ensuring Commission policies are implemented through oversight of departmental initiatives and actions and assist with the formation of the County Administrator’s annual budget recommendations. Major projects underway include:
- Consolidation of E-911 Call-Taking, Dispatching and Regional Communications
- New Broward County Main Courthouse
- Stockade and Regional Courthouse Projects
- 1,000 Car Garage
- County Facility for Consolidation of Supervisor of Elections Operations
- 64th Street Warehouse
- Federal Courthouse Task Force
- Fire Council
- Public Safety Coordinating Council
- County Courthouse Taskforce
- Creation of a Local Government Radio System
- Implementation of P25 Radio Upgrade
- Programming of new Medical Examiner facility, maintenance facility and Nancy J. Cotterman (Sexual Assault Treatment) Center
- Unincorporated area activities
- Broward Sheriff’s Office
- Clerk of the Courts
- Court Administration
- Emergency Management Division
- Office of Management and Budget
- Office of Regional Communications and Technology
- Property Appraiser
- Public Defender
- Public Works Department
- State Attorney
- Supervisor of Elections
- Broward Municipal Services District
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, University of Central Florida and Master of Business Administration from the University of Phoenix. Jefferson is Lean Six-Sigma Green Belt certified with additional certifications in Human Resources and DDI Facilitation in Customer Service and Leadership.
- Distinguished Budget Award (Orange County Board of County Commissioners), Government Financial Officers Association – 1996 to 1998
- Best in Class Collections Program, Florida Sterling Council – 2007
- Distinguished Budget Award (Clerk’s Office), Government Financial Officers Association – 2008, 2009 and 2010
- Florida Sterling Award for Performance Excellence, Florida Sterling Council – 2008
- Distinguished Budget Award (Brevard County Board of County Commissioners) – 2012
Jefferson assisted in the publication of collection best practices with the National Center for State Courts, and has conducted presentations on leadership, budgeting, collections and strategic management to various national organizations. Professional affiliations include:
- Broward County UNCF Advisory Council Member
- National Forum for Black Public Administrators
- American Society for Public Administrators
- Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM)
- International City/County Managers Association (ICMA)
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Florida Government Financial Officers Association (FGFOA)
- Government Financial Officers Association (GFOA)
- Florida City and County Manager Association (FCCMA)
- Broward City-County Managers Association (BCCMA)