FLL and HWO Background
Broward County's Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) and North Perry Airport (HWO)
, a general aviation airport, form a diverse and dynamic airport system. This airport system serves the needs of 32.5 million passengers and the general aviation community throughout South Florida.
FLL is ranked 19th in the U.S. in total passenger traffic and 14th in domestic origin and destination passengers. With more than 700
flights a day, the Airport offers nonstop service to more than 75 US cities and
global connectivity to more than 60 international destinations in 33 countries.
- 15,000+ on-airport badged employees
- 139,920 total jobs (direct, indirect, induced multiplier effect)
- Total payroll $3.8 billion in wages
- Total output $13.2 billion
Read the Florida Department of Transportation's Economic Impact Reports for:
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (PDF)
North Perry Airport (PDF)
Major Improvements Underway
The FLL Airport Improvements and Renovations Program (FLLAIR) will modernize the terminals, add gates for international and domestic destinations, and keep delays to a minimum through a new runway. FLLAIR includes these major projects.
- The South Runway opened in September 2014. It created an estimated 11,000 construction jobs with a $1.4 billion impact to the regional economy.
- Terminal 4 will expand from 10 to 14 gates with more international gates and expanded Customs facility. There will also be more restaurants and shops for passengers.
- The Terminal Modernization Program will upgrade and improve Terminals 1, 2, and 3.
- Concourse A in Terminal 1 opened in July 2017 with five gates for both international and domestic flights.
Part of Broward County
Broward County, a political subdivision of the State of Florida, owns the two airports. The Airports are operated through the Broward County Board of County Commissioners. The Commission delegates the management and operations of FLL and HWO to the Broward County Aviation Department.
The two airports are monetarily self-supporting. We do not use any Broward County tax revenue to support the operations, maintenance, or capital improvements of the Airports. The Aviation Department generates funds through user fees, rentals, and other charges. Bonds, fees, and grants (state and federal) fund the capital improvement projects. Any surpluses are reinvested into the airport facilities.
Do You Have A Safety Concern?
The Safety Management System (SMS) at FLL is an innovative proactive way to manage safety. SMS provides five convenient ways to communicate safety concerns without fear of retribution. All airport travelers, employees, and tenants are encouraged to report any accidents, incidents, hazardous conditions, and behaviors as soon as possible.
What Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport Offers You
- Nonstop flights to over 100 U.S. and international cities.
- International service to Canada, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Central America, and South America.
- Over 12,000 parking spaces just minutes from the terminals.
- For cruise passengers, a short two mile ride to Port Everglades. Even the Port of Miami is less than an hour away.
- An onsite Rental Car Center (RCC) offers 12 car rental companies and more than 5,400 rental cars. The RCC is a short walk from Terminal 1 or you can take a shuttle ride from the other terminals.
What North Perry Airport Offers You
- Private and charter aircraft operators offering a full range of services such as aircraft refueling, repairs, catering, and flight planning facilities.
- An airfield system with four runways, the longest at 3,350 feet.
- Over 160 T-Hangars for aircraft storage.
- Flight instruction for airplanes and helicopters.