Commercial Filming at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International And North Perry Airports
|The Broward County Aviation Department (BCAD) recognizes the important economic contribution of commercial production and the publicity they generate for our community.
BCAD allows the use of its facilities by film, videotape, and commercial still photographers. One can film in specific public areas with the proper coordination through the Aviation Department’s Office of Public Information. We generally discourage productions during normal daytime hours or during peak travel times.
Producers must first obtain approval from BCAD and the Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward Film Commission prior to beginning their projects at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) and North Perry Airport (NPA). The County requires specialized insurance and a Film Commission issued permit for all commercial filming/videotaping, training videos, and still photography.
The Aviation Department will make every effort to allow producers to use its facilities. Production companies must understand that the Aviation Department has the responsibility to the travelling public of providing a safe and secure facility as their foremost priority. When and if the airport can accommodate a production, it will be at the discretion of the Aviation Department.
BCAD must have all the completed paperwork at least 10 working days before the proposed filming date for us to consider the request.
Steps for Filming Approval
1. Contact the Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward Film Commission at 954-767-2472 and complete a film permit. Go to the Film Commission's website for detailed information. Fax the completed Film Permit and required documents to the Film Commission at 954-765-4414. They will provide BCAD with a copy of the completed paperwork.
2. Complete the attached BCAD Film Worksheet (PDF). This Worksheet requests information for successful filming. FAX the completed Worksheet to Greg Meyer, BCAD Public Information Officer, at 954-359-5797 and to the Broward Film Commission. If the request is to film at North Perry Airport, also fax the Worksheet to Nina Demeo, North Perry Airport Manager at 954-962-3119.
BCAD staff will review the Film Permit and Photography Worksheet with the Airport’s Managers. Management will approve, disapprove, or request changes to the filming request. BCAD will notify you of their decision and discuss any possible options.
3. If Management agrees to the filming, the next step is to schedule a walk through which is required before the final permit approval. Call Greg Meyer at 954-359-6116 at least two weeks in advance of the filming to determine the needed airport locations. The walk through will also cover security, safety, and parking opportunities. If the producer needs to use airport electrical power, please make that request prior to the walk through so an airport electrician can be on hand to answer technical questions.
Members of a film company needing access to non-public areas of the airport must display a special Visitor badge and be escorted by a BCAD employee. The BCAD employee must have security clearance and escort privileges.
In most instances, the producer will need to hire an off-duty Deputy or Deputies from the Broward Sheriff’s Office to provide crowd management and security for the airport. These deputies are available to assist the airport staff maintain normal operations. They will NOT provide security services for the production company. The number of deputies will depend on the size of the crew and the filming location. The walk through will determine the number of Deputies needed.
Producers can hire off-duty Sheriff's Deputies through the Sheriff's Special Detail Office, 954-831-8199. Please note: Off-duty deputies must be deputies assigned to the airport and in possession of a current BCAD airport security badge.
- BCAD will allow filming beyond the security checkpoint.
- The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will not allow filming of the security checkpoints, TSA personnel, procedures, or equipment.
- Only domesticated animals (dogs, cats, etc.) are allowed in the terminals for use as "models" during a shoot.
- Production companies must obtain written permission from the airlines and other airport tenants, (rental car companies, airport stores, etc.) prior to photographing any of their brand names, locations, personnel, or aircraft. We will assist you with those contacts.
- If the production company wants to use tenant-leased space on the airport, the company must make arrangements with the tenant.
- FLL has an exclusive contract for food and beverage service in the terminal area. Production companies requiring these services should contact the contractor for the appropriate terminal:
Terminals 1 and 2
Mike Walker, General Manager
650 SW 34th Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315
Terminals 3 and 4
Eric Haseman, Interim General Manager
Lauderdale F&B Partners
200 Terminal Drive
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315
Broward County Aviation Department
Greg Meyer, Public Information Officer
Tel: 954-359-6116 / Fax: 954-359-0027
2200 SW 45th Street, Suite 101
Dania Beach, FL 33312
Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward Office of Film & Entertainment
Noelle P. Stevenson, Film Commissioner
Tel: 954-767-2440/Fax: 954-765-4681
Kristen Norona, Film Permit Assistant
Tel: 954-767-2472/Fax: 954-765-4681
100 East Broward Boulevard, Suite 200
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301