As part of the FLL Airport Improvement and Renovation Program, Broward County Aviation Department will add a new Concourse A to Terminal 1. They will also modernize the existing terminal. Southwest Airlines in cooperation with FLL will manage these construction activities. Construction will go on while the terminal remains open with minimal disruption to the passengers.
- Improve the customer experience through a modern terminal.
- Offer more international and domestic destinations through additional gates.
Building Concourse A with a Customs Inspection Facility with five gates that can handle both international and domestic flights. These “swing” gates will allow FLL to offer more international and domestic destinations.
Providing connectors for all three concourses, A, B, and C all post security. This will allow passengers to access all the concourses once past the security checkpoint. Now Concourses A and B each has separate checkpoint. One must go through another security checkpoint to access another concourse.
Increased Concession Space
Increasing concession space both post security and pre security. This will provide travelers with more dinning and shopping options.
Security Checkpoint Enhancements
Creating one centralized security checkpoint for all three concourses on the ticketing level. This will allow a more efficient processing of passengers through the security checkpoint.
Enhancing the existing restrooms and adding new restrooms near the new centralized security checkpoint.
Gate Seating Enhancements
Improving and expanding the seating areas near the gates in the new Concourse A.
The estimated cost is $333 million.
- Preliminary construction began in June, 2015.
- Crews are working on the concession hall between Concourses B and C, the centralized security check point, and terrazzo floor in the Baggage Claim level.
- July 2017 Concourse A construction complete.
- Fourth Quarter of 2017 for completion of Terminal 1