Construction on the South Runway at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) continues as the project nears completion later this year. Updates and significant milestones include:
- All 855 support beams for the runway and taxiway structures over US 1, Perimeter Road, and the FEC Railway have been placed. Also, all the concrete decks have been constructed.
- Over 30 percent of the concrete for the South Runway has been placed. Crews continue to place concrete for the taxiways and midfield apron. Installation of underground utilities for runway lighting and FAA navigational equipment continues.
- Approximately 95 percent of the embankment for the runway is in place. Over 90 percent of the retaining wall is finished and stands up to 50 feet high.
- Demolition of the Hilton Hotel began on April 7, 2014. This will remove the building from the flight path of the new runway.
- Construction of the ramps for US 1 north, I-595 west, and Port Everglades continues. The new southbound US 1 exit ramp is also under construction.
Click on an image for a larger version.