Many developments and milestones for Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport’s (FLL) South Runway Expansion Project have been completed through the 1st quarter of 2014 including:
- Traffic on US 1 near FLL shifted west into the runway and taxiway structures. The runway structure is 810 feet long and the taxiway structure is 440 feet long. The average clearance is 24 feet in each structure. The shift is part of the reconfiguration of traffic for US 1 in conjunction with the South Runway Project.
- Crews began pouring the concrete base layer for the runway on the west end. Installation of underground utilities for runway lighting and FAA navigational equipment continue.
- Final preparations are being made to the new mid-field aircraft overnight parking area.
- Approximately 75 percent of the total embankment required for the runway is in place. Over 70 percent of the retaining wall is in place and has been installed up to 50 feet high.
- Approximately 90 percent of the Runway/Taxiway support beams have been installed and nearly 70 percent of the concrete deck has been poured.
- Construction of the airport exit interchange for US 1 north, I-595 west, and Port Everglades continues. The new southbound US 1 exit is also currently under construction.
- Dania Boat Sales and the Hilton Hotel parking garage were demolished. Demolition of the Hilton Hotel will begin in April 2014.
(Photo: View of the structures looking northwest)
Click on any image for a larger version.
Terminal 4 Redevelopment and Expansion
The Terminal 4 Redevelopment and Expansion Project broke ground in 2013. Work on the western expansion foundations continues. When complete, Terminal 4 will increase the number of gates for international and domestic travel.
Terminal 4 is being constructed in two phases (eastern and western) while maintaining operations.
Current Terminal 4 updates:
- Foundation work for the new Western Expansion concourse continues as new underground utilities and pile caps are installed.
- The Terminal 4 Aircraft Parking Apron Expansion Project construction commenced on December 16, 2013.
- Construction continues at Concourse H which includes new restroom facilities, installation of new carpet, charging stations, new lighting, and concession relocation.
(Photo: Columns under construction for the western phase of Terminal 4 with a plane taxing in the background.)
US 1 Traffic Shift Into Structures
On January 10, 2014, north and southbound US 1 traffic shifted temporarily into one tunnel. US 1 North and the airport entrance will eventually shift to their own separate tunnels.
(Photo: Drivers view in the tunnel.)
West side aerial view of the South Runway Project including final preparation for paving, drainage, marking, lighting, and signage.
(Photo: The runway and taxiway taking shape with the recent concrete paving.)