Travelers with Disabilities
Special care has been taken in the design and construction of Airport facilities to ensure safe, convenient and easy access for travelers with disabilities. This includes the parking garages, terminals, and Rental Car Center.
Airport ADA Coordination
If you require wheelchair service or similar assistance for passengers with disabilities, please contact your airline. The airlines must make these arrangements. You will find a directory of airline phone numbers and website addresses in the Tenant Directory
If you want to make the Broward County Aviation Department aware of an accessibility concern or complaint, please send an email to FLL’s ADA Coordinator, Linda Merrill at email@example.com.
Formal Grievance Procedures
The Office of Intergovernmental Affairs and Professional Standards administers the County's overall ADA grievance procedure. Persons with ADA complaints regarding the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport can contact the Aviation Department's ADA Coordinator noted above.
Read the Broward County Equal Accessibility and Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability Policy (PDF).
Pet Relief Areas
FLL offers four outside, accessible Pet Relief Areas with complimentary waste disposal bags. They are located on the lower level, outside of each baggage claim area.
- Outside of Terminal 1 under the walkway from the garage.
- Outside the Palm Garage across from Terminal 2.
- Outside the Palm Garage across from Terminal 3.
- Outside the Palm Garage across from Terminal 4.
Click on the image for a larger version.
Service Animal Relief Areas
FLL will create indoor Service Animal Relief Areas (SARAs) as part of the terminal modernization and expansion programs. Construction on Terminal 1 and Terminal 4 are underway. Terminal 1 will be complete by mid 2017. Terminal 4 will be completed at the end of 2017.
In compliance with the federal regulation, we consulted with service animal training organizations about our plans to meet the requirement. While the SARAs in the terminals are under construction, we have implemented the recommendations from the training organizations to improve our existing outdoor pet relief areas to better accommodate service animal needs.
Parking and Terminal Access
FLL provides an innovative feature at all parking facilities for passengers with upper body mobility limitations. This unique ADA Parking Access Feature allows patrons to access the parking lots without pulling a ticket. Vehicle information is recorded via speakerphone and remote camera and parking charges are calculated upon exit.
Once inside, all on-site garage facilities feature:
- Clearly designated disabled parking spaces.
- High-top van parking.
- Curb cuts, ramps, level entrances, elevators and automatic doors.
- Elevator control panels, incorporating Braille, with adjusted height requirements.
- Terminal shuttle buses (with boarding areas conveniently located close to disabled parking spaces) that are wheelchair accessible and operate continuously throughout the day.
For quickest, most convenient access to the terminals, follow these parking guidelines:
||2, 3 and 4
||Level 1 |
||Level 2 (east end)|
If you must park on any other level, take the elevator to Level 1 and cross at the crosswalk or ride the shuttle to the west end of the garage complex.
FLL will provide courtesy parking to individuals that operate vehicles:
- Displaying a Florida Toll Exemption permit or
- Containing specialized equipment for utilization by a person who has a disability, such as foot or hand controls, lifts or ramps
Subject to Aviation Department verification procedures.
Free Parking for Disabled American Veterans
Veterans that display "DAV" license plates do not pay parking fees for up to seven days. Use a cashier lane when exiting the garage. Before the cashier rings up your transaction, advise them that you are a disabled veteran and have a DAV license plate on your vehicle.
Travelers with special needs have numerous ground transportation options at the Airport.
- Taxis - Yellow Cab provide transportation for passengers with folding wheelchairs at no additional charge. Wheelchair accessible vans are also available at no additional charge, but advance notice is recommended. For information or to arrange for a van, contact Yellow Cab wheelchair taxi dispatch.
- Shared Ride - GO Airport Shuttle provides wheelchair lift-equipped vans at no additional charge. Advance notice is recommended.
- Car Rentals - With advance notice, most car rental companies provide rental cars equipped with hand controls. Contact your rental car company for further details.
- Public Transportation - Tri Rail feeder buses and Broward County Transit (BCT) buses accommodate riders in wheelchairs.
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) offers designated lanes for passengers needing special assistance through the security checkpoint. For information on items allowed through security or other general questions, go to the TSA website or call 1-855-787-2227.
The airlines will provide wheelchair assistance upon request.
Telephones and amplified phones are located in ticket lobbies, concourses and baggage claim levels. TTY phones for passengers with hearing and speech impairments are available in each terminal building and our Rental Car Center on Level 3 on the west side.
Courtesy phone boards with TTY phones are located in the baggage claim area of all terminals. They connect the users with many of our local car rental companies and various hotels.
Broward County Aviation Department TTY Number
Florida TTY/Voice Relay Service
In some cases, non-ticketed escorts may accompany minor children traveling alone or passengers requiring special assistance to the gate. Escorts must obtain a gate pass to accompany a ticketed passenger to the gate.
Airlines issue gate passes solely at their discretion. The traveler can make the request for a gate pass when they make their airline reservation (by telephone) or at the ticket counter the day of travel. The airline will request information about the proposed non-ticketed escort (name, date of birth, etc.).
The traveler and the non-ticketed escort must check in at the airline’s ticket counter on the day of travel, where the airline will issue the gate pass. The escort must show a valid government photo ID to receive a gate pass.
Please note that a gate pass is only good for that leg of the trip. If the traveler needs a non-ticketed escort at the gate when they return to FLL, they must request a separate gate pass for that leg of their trip.
Wheelchair accessible restrooms are located throughout the terminals and Rental Car Center (RCC). Family Rest Rooms are available in Terminals 1, 3, and 4 and the RCC.
Braille signage and raised numbers are available in all the elevators located throughout the airport.
Visual Paging Monitors
For passengers who are hearing impaired, visual paging monitors are available at the lower and upper levels of each terminal. Contact the Communications Center at 954-359-1201 to display a message.