Animal Care Advisory Committee Meetings
Meetings are held quarterly, on a Friday at 11:15AM. The Committee meets a minimum of four (4) times per calendar year. Meetings are held at the Broward County Animal Care Adoption Center, 2400 SW 42nd St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312.
The next Animal Care Advisory Committee meeting will take place on Friday, May 10, from 11:15AM to 1:15PM. The following topics will be discussed:
Past Advisory Committee Meetings and Agendas
April 12, 2019
February 9, 2019
Purpose of the Advisory Committee
The Animal Care Advisory Committee does not operate in a regulatory or authoritative capacity, but rather is available to assist Animal Care concerning animal issues or shelter programs and services.
The Committee also helps to administer the Animal Care Trust Fund and accepts and disburses gifts, grants and other awards of money paid to Broward County for the use and benefit of animals in the County
The Animal Care Advisory Committee was created by Broward County Resolution #2008-832, adopted November 13, 2008, establishing the Animal Care Advisory Committee.
Amended by Ordinance #2009-09, enacted March 10, 2009, sunsetting the Animal Care Trust Fund Committee; implementing the recommendation of the National Animal Control Association to transfer its duties to the Animal Care Advisory Committee.
Amended by Resolution #2018-267, adopted June 5, 2018 to implement 2016 Sunset Review Recommendations.
The Board consists of eleven (11) members.
The Board shall appoint two (2) members of the Advisory Committee at large, neither of whom shall meet any of the categorical requirements set forth below.
Each County Commissioner shall appoint one (1) member whom shall represent a specific category chosen by draw as follows:
- Veterinarian licensed by the State of Florida who is currently practicing veterinary medicine in Broward County, whose practice consists primarily of caring for domestic animals;
- Full-time employee of an animal welfare organization;
- Member of a local, nonprofit organization providing services to stray or unwanted animals;
- Certified Animal behaviorist;
- Full-time employee of a municipal animal regulatory agency empowered and authorized to enforce local ordinances;
- Full-time employee of a law enforcement agency, or a former employee of a law enforcement agency who has significant experience in investigating animal cruelty or orther animal-related crimes;
- Full-time employee or active board member from a wildlife animal rescue organization who has at least one (1) year of experience actively managing operations in the organization;
- Owner, partner, or officer of a pet retail store who resides in Broward County, and whose business represents the local sales market; and
- Full-time employee from the State of Florida Broward County Health Department, or someone who specializes in epidemiology, zoonotic, or communicable diseases.
Section 1-233 of Chapter 1, Article XII, Broward County Code of Ordinances, as may be amended from time to time.
A majority of the total appointed board members.
Maite Azcoitia, Deputy County Attorney
Lisette R. Murado, Office Manager
954-359-1313 ext. 9689
For advisory committee related questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For general inquiries, email: email@example.com