The Artist Micro Credit Program is designed to assist Broward-based practicing, professional, and emerging artists, to advance their work and careers. A premise of the program is that “gaps” exist in traditional lending markets and that some creditworthy artists, and their artistic businesses, cannot qualify for financing. This program provides assistance to eligible individual artists and arts-related businesses, who cannot obtain funding from conventional sources.
The program’s funds can be used for arts-related projects, artistic and product development, and artists’ business development purposes. The project’s costs must be substantiated by the applicant’s Business Plan (see below). Examples of opportunities eligible for support include:
- Funding for artistic labor, supplies, and other expenses to produce artistic products.
- Purchasing equipment for an artist’s arts-related business; equipment purchases that will have significant impact on the artist’s career.
- Completion of portfolios, work samples, marketing materials, or artist’s website development.
- Production of CDs or manuscripts, creation of limited editions, or limited production runs of artistic products for re-sale. Costs associated with taking completed artistic products to marketplace, or retail placement.
- Working capital used for current operating expenses and inventory.
- Costs associated with copyrighting and legally protecting art works.
- Specific certification, or creative skill-building, or artistic opportunities.
(Costs supported by the applicant’s business plan)
Ineligible Use of Funds
Projects whose use is incompatible with the Artist Micro Credit Program guidelines.
The key elements considered by the program’s (loan) review panel:
• Meets the eligibility requirements
• Sound Business Plan
• Ability to repay the loan
For more information about the Artist Micro Credit Program and the Artist as an Entrepreneurial Institute contact:
James Shermer, Grants Administrator
Broward Cultural Division
100 South Andrews Avenue, 6th Floor
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301-1829
954-357-7502 ● 954-357-5769 Faxjshermer@broward.org
Cheryl D. Cook, Economic Development Specialist
Joyce Hall, Financial Specialist
South Florida Regional Planning Council
3440 Hollywood Boulevard, Suite 140
Hollywood, FL 33020
954- 985-4416 ● 954-985-4417 Fax