|Built in 1926 - 1927, Registered April 1990|
651 NE First St
, FL 33441
The Deerfield School is a complex two-story, L-shaped masonry Mediterranean Revival structure with a one-and-a-half story wing and small three-story tower pavilion. Designed in 1926 by Thomas McLaughlin and completed in 1927, the structure has remained essentially unchanged. The building is significant for its part in the development of public education in Broward County, and as a representative of an architectural style indelibly associated with Florida. One of the most notable interior features is the 216 seat auditorium, which was designed for use in school activities and as the community theater for the City of Deerfield.
This two-story masonry structure was designed by Thomas McLaughlin, one of Florida’s “boom-time architects.” He designed the Oakland Park Elementary School (1926) which is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The school is a fine example of the Mediterranean Revival style which was popular in the southwest United States during the period 1915-1940. The basis of Mediterranean Revival style is Spanish architecture; it also borrows elements from other styles such as Italian Renaissance, Gothic, Moorish and Byzantine.
Deerfield School continues to be used as a public school and remains essentially unchanged. Decorative details include arched walkways, intersecting gable roofs covered with S-shape Spanish terra cotta barrel-tiles and a bell tower with twisted Corinthian columns. Open air loggias form primary corridors connecting classrooms and offices. The L-shaped building sits on a concrete foundation and the masonry walls are covered with a painted shell-dash stucco finish. It has one of the earliest examples of terrazzo floors in Broward County.
There is a one-and-a- half-story auditorium wing which seats 277 and was designed for religious, educational and community events, including a community theater for the City of Deerfield. It is also used for hurricane shelter. The auditorium has been restored to its original appearance. The school is the second oldest operating school in Broward County, the first being Oakland Park Elementary.