|Built in 1927, Registered January 1995|
501 N 14 Ave
, FL 33020
The Hollywood Woman's Club is significant for its long and rich association with the development of Hollywood, FL. Since its completion in 1927, the building has served as the meeting place for the Hollywood Woman's Club and functioned as a community center. Built on two lots donated by Joseph W. Young, founder of the city, the clubhouse has continuously held regular educational, cultural and social meetings, as well as frequent charity fund raising and political events. The building has also been used as a polling place, a public library and has been graciously loaned to community organizations over the years. The Hollywood Woman's Club and its charitable contributions to the local area closely mirror the early twentieth century American women's emerging interest and involvement in community affairs. The building is a fine example of frame vernacular architecture. Although modest in design, it displays architectural details that reflected the refined purpose of the building and care with which it was built.
The Hollywood Woman’s Club is fine example of frame vernacular architecture with Colonial Revival details. It was built on two lots donated by Joseph W. Young, founder of the city of Hollywood. The Woman’s Club was designed by architect Frederic A. Eskridge. “The building was constructed by C. E. Payne, general contractor, and completed August 5, 1927... and the club house has since been continuously occupied by the Hollywood Woman’s Club.” The building is a one-story wood frame structure with a front gable roof. “The club had originally planned a larger structure, but their plans were changed after the devastating 1926 hurricane.” “The front door is accentuated with a decorative crown, side pilasters, fanlights and sidelights. The roof is a front facing gable covered with composition shingles. Windows are shuttered but originals have been replaced with the aluminum awning style.”
“Organized in 1922, the Hollywood Woman’s Club functioned as a community center. The early officers were wives of members of the J. W. Young organization who wanted to establish normal community life as they had known it in the Midwestern states from which they came.” The ladies of the Hollywood Woman’s Club assisted in the development of the first public library in Hollywood and provided medical examinations for children in public schools.
The club has served over the years as a public library, a voting place and a site for the community to hold educational, cultural and social gatherings, as well as frequent charity fund raising and political events. The building has been carefully maintained by the members and remains relatively unchanged.