229 SW 2nd Ave
Fort Lauderdale Historical Museum
, FL 33301
Web Address: http://www.oldfortlauderdale.org
Edwin T. King built his own home in what is now Smoker Park in 1907, adding the second floor in 1911. Built of Dade County pine with joists made from ships’ timbers, it was supplied with running water and carbide lamps. The King family occupied the house until 1968. In 1971, the Junior League of Fort Lauderdale moved the 150-ton house via river barge to its present location. In 1994, the Historical Society assumed custody of the house and it is operated today as a museum of local pioneer lifestyles.
Tours; school programming. Hours: Saturday 1,2,3 p.m. or by appointment.
Fort Lauderdale Historical Society