Broward County, Florida
Skip navigation links
About Us
Arts Education
Events
Funding
Public Art
Resources
Media
Skip navigation links
Art Gallery
Art Walks
Arts Education
Arts Festivals
Arts Parks
Arts Services
Attractions
Dance
Friends
Funding Resources
Government Agencies
Historical Societies
Interdisplinary
Libraries
Literature
Media Arts
Museum Memberships
Museums
Music
National Register of Historic Places
Performing Arts
Recreation
Theater Seating Charts
Theaters and Theater Companies
Visual Arts
Cultural Directory Search
SAM GILLIAN HOUSE
Built circa 1925, Registered 2001
11 SW 15th Street
Fort Lauderdale , FL

Web Address:

Purpose:
Built by Samuel W. Gillian, the Gillian House is a distinguished example of a mission-type, Spanish eclectic style dwelling with Prairie Style influences.  Gillian was the treasurer-manager of the Everglades Lumber Company  and a leader in the local Republican Party.    “Gillian was one of the few registered Republicans in the county, a fact that was cause for comment and amusement in the largely Democratic Broward County.   He attended a number of Republican national conventions as a delegate from Florida. 

“When president-elect Warren G. Harding visited Fort Lauderdale, Gillian, as one of his hosts, arranged a golf game at the new Southside Golf Course with local pro Norman Sommers.  The game became famous in local lore; some accounts said Norm Sommers let the president-elect win, which pleased Harding.  Gillian also worked for Herbert Hoover in his presidential campaign and he may have entertained Hoover when he was in Fort Lauderdale to assess damage from the 1926 hurricane.  Gillian used the clout he gained in Washington, D.C. to get a $175,000 appropriation for a new post office in Fort Lauderdale.”  

The 3,900-square-foot Gillian House was constructed of concrete and stucco-clad hollow clay tile, on two lots.  The architect has not yet been identified.  The house has a decorative green barrel tile roof.  It features high ceilings, tiger oak floors and trim.  The mahogany interior doors have unique inlaid contrasting wood detail.  “It features red oak mantles, wide baseboards, French doors and distinctive multi-light casement windows.”    The original kitchen, including the sink, is intact.  It is one of the finer houses that were built in the area during the 1920s land boom and is one of the few still standing today. 

The house was boarded up and scheduled for demolition in the early 1990s.  Developer Jack Loos wanted to build an office building on the original site of the house on 300 South East 9th Street.  He offered the house for free to anyone who would move it.  Jay and Jaimee Adams paid to have the structure moved and renovated.  The house, which has been lovingly restored, is now used as professional offices.