|Built in 1942, Registered in 1998|
4050 SW 14 Ave.
At the beginning of the United States’ entry into World War II there was a need for training areas for Naval airmen. Broward County’s flat undeveloped land and proximity to the Atlantic Ocean provided an ideal spot for training bases. The Navy purchased Merle Fogg Field and surrounding properties and constructed the Fort Lauderdale Naval Air Station, with satellite fields built elsewhere in the county.
“The Naval Air Station was Broward County’s largest World War II training facility, training pilots and crewmen of TBM and TBF Avenger torpedo bombers for service in the Pacific.” Radar and artillery development units were also located in the county. Other fields included Pompano Beach Municipal Field (Navy), Forman Field (now the site of Broward Community College), North Perry Field and West Prospect Field (now Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport). Former United States president George Herbert Walker Bush trained at the Fort Lauderdale Naval Air Station.
The members of the “Lost Flight 19