|Built in 1922, Registered in 2001|
1421 S. Andrews Ave.
The architect of the Mediterranean Revival Croissant Park Administration Building is believed to be Francis Abreu, a well-known architect in the area during the 1920s and 1930s. The 6,000 square foot building is L-shape and has two decorative octagonal masonry lanterns, reminiscent of towers, on the northeast and southwest roof corners. The cut corner entrance, which fronts onto the intersection with Andrews Avenue, is a prominent feature as are the sculpted roof-line parapets so typical of the Mediterranean Revival Style. The building has old growth Dade County pine wood floors.
The Croissant Park Administration Building was the sales office for Croissant Park, a major housing development of Woods-Hoskins-Young Company that included Joseph Young developer of Hollywood. Part of the development was originally named “Palm City,” then “Placidena,” and the building was then referred to as the “Placidena Field Office.” The development was created to resemble the planned city of Joseph Young, Hollywood, Florida. It was renamed Croissant Park around 1924 after Chicago and Florida real estate developer G. Frank Croissant took over operations.
Croissant billed himself as “The World’s Greatest Salesman.” He represented a group of wealthy Chicago land investors. “Croissant had his own sales organization in Chicago where he had built several large tract developments, the most notable, Calumet City.” Croissant brought his aggressive sales tactics to the Croissant Park development. Prospective buyers were taken to a pretty wooden gazebo on the roof of the office where they could look over the development and choose their future home site. Croissant also held bathing beauty contests, fish fries and concerts to draw attention to his development.
Neglected for several decades, the building was painstakingly restored in the late 1990s by its current owners, Jay and Jaimee Adams. It now serves as office space.