|Built in 1926 - 1927, Registered April 1990|
1300 W Hillsboro Blvd
, FL 33442
Web Address: http://www.sfrm.org/
The South Florida Railway Museum/Old Seaboard Air Line Railway Station is a one-story, masonry, Mediterranean Revival structure designed to provide facilities for both passengers and freight service in one structure. The building is significant for its part in the economic development of Deerfield Beach and as a representative of an architectural style indelibly associated with Florida.
This Mediterranean Revival structure was designed by Gustav A. Maass, an innovative architect from Louisiana. Maass also designed three other stations for the Seaboard Airline Railway, the stations in West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach and Delray Beach. The station in Boynton is identical to the Deerfield station. The stations were designed for both passenger and freight service. In 1927, over 30 years after Henry Flagler had brought the Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) into South Florida, the Seaboard Airline Railway (SAL) became the second railroad line serving the region when the ‘Orange Blossom Special’ arrived on January 8.
The Butler brothers, prominent farmers in the Deerfield area, assisted in getting the right-of-way for the railroad. It is said that they stipulated that any station built be equal to that in Delray. It was a produce shipping center and many farmers from Lake Okeechobee and Pompano rented warehouses there. There was a dirt road that led from the station to Oakland Park Boulevard. The Butler brothers shipped carloads of cucumbers, beans, peppers and eggplant to Chicago and New York.
In 1942, the Army Air Force took over the warehouses to store materials for building the base in Boca Raton.