Deferred Compensation thru Drug-Free Workplace

Effective 1/1/16

Deferred Compensation (See Your Benefits & You)

Demotion/Promotion (See Job Opportunities)

Dental Insurance (See Your Benefits & You)

Direct Deposit

Direct deposit is the recommended method of receiving your paycheck. With direct deposit, funds are automatically deposited each payday into the account(s) specified by the employee. Direct Deposit forms are available on the BC-Net. Select the FORMS link under the PAYROLL section or contact Payroll Central at or 954-357-7190. A small number of employees prefer to have their pay deposited to a rapid!PayCard, which works like a debit card. Check with your Payroll Liaison for more information. See also Pay Period and Payday.

Discrimination (See Equal Employment Opportunity)

Domestic Partner

The Broward County Board of County Commissioners recognizes that there are many individuals who establish and maintain a significant personal, emotional and economic relationship with another individual, often living in a committed family relationship, outside the bounds of traditional marriage. The County has created a system for such relationships to be registered and recognized and extends certain employee benefits to the registered domestic partners of Broward County employees. County employees can elect insurance coverage for their domestic partner and use all forms of leave provided by the County to care for their domestic partner or the dependent of the domestic partner, as applicable. When a Declaration of Domestic Partnership is recorded with the Broward County Records, Taxes, and Treasury Division, it becomes a public record and can be viewed by anyone. Domestic partners must meet the following requirements to register their partnership:

  • Each party must be at least 18 years old and competent to contract
  • Neither person may be married or a partner in another domestic partner relationship
  • Neither person’s consent to the domestic partner relationship may be obtained by force, duress or fraud
  • Each person must agree to be jointly responsible for each other’s basic food and shelter
  • Both parties must be domiciled in Broward County or one of the parties must be employed by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners

Domestic Partner Continuation of Coverage (See Your Benefits & You)

Domestic Violence Leave

In accordance with Florida Statutes, Section 741.313, any County employee employed by the County for at least three months may request and take up to three working days of leave from work in any 12-month period if the employee or a family or household member of an employee is the victim of domestic violence or sexual violence. The leave may be paid or unpaid, but an employee must use all applicable paid annual, personal, sick, and/or other applicable paid leave prior to being eligible for unpaid leave.

Contact the Human Resources Division - Labor Relations Section for full details regarding this policy including applicability, conditions and limitations, leave usage and procedures.

Donated Leave Program (See Your Benefits & You)

Driver Authorization

Employees must receive authorization to drive County or personal vehicles in the course of County business. Authorization to receive mileage reimbursement requires personal insurance limits for driving a personal car on County business. Continued authorization is subject to the maintenance of proper licenses and a satisfactory driving record as reported by the State and County. Continued employment in jobs that require an employee to drive is subject to the maintenance of driver authorization. Refer also to the Safety Handbook “Your Right to Know” on the BC-Net under Risk Management Division. See also County Cars and Vehicles.

Deferred Retirement Options (DROP) (See Your Benefits & You)

Drug-Free Workplace

The County is committed to providing a workplace free from the effects of the misuse or abuse of controlled substances and alcohol. This includes not only drug and alcohol testing but also substance abuse treatment programs coordinated by the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Some federal and state regulations require random drug and alcohol testing for certain job classifications, such as bus operators and commercial driver’s license holders. Such testing is administered by the Human Resources Division - Labor Relations Section. Voluntary self-referral to EAP for substance abuse assessment and referral for treatment is confidential.​