Inside Out Broward - A Call To Photographers
Broward County, Florida
DEADLINE: September 30, 2014
Broward Cultural Division is seeking professional photographers for Inside Out Broward. Inside Out is a global art project that gives communities all over the world a platform to express themselves through black and white photographs. Photographers will be selected for the project through a unique partnership among Broward Cultural Division, the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau and the Community Foundation of Broward, for Broward County's yearlong centennial celebration, Broward 100 - Celebrating the Art of Community.
Broward 100 will commemorate Broward County's centennial with bold, innovative art and performance projects that attract visitors and bring Broward residents together using our arts, sports and recreation venues, natural attractions and incredible diversity to creatively bridge, bond and build their communities. Broward 100 is framed by four distinct cornerstones of community engagement: VisualEYES, Inside Out Broward, Calendar 100 and a grand finale.
The goal of Inside Out Broward is to showcase the human spirit of the various groups and communities within Broward County. The project will bring individuals together to stimulate conversation about social issues and community differences while celebrating heritage and life.
Inside Out Broward is inspired by Parisian street artist JR, winner of the TED Conference International Prize in 2011, and his large-format street pastings. Inside Out captures a collective message through headshots of individuals, which are printed on posters, pasted on public spaces and archived online. This global platform allows people to tell their untold stories and transform concepts of personal identity into works of public art. Since 2007, installations have appeared on walls, sidewalks, streets, skyscrapers and historic buildings around the globe. More than 223,927 people and over 112 countries have participated.
- Inside Out photographs must be black and white headshots of individuals from participating groups.
- Photos must be high-quality and able to expand to 36” by 53” inches or larger. Photographs must be minimum of 100 dpi and over 1 MB. Use of a tripod is recommended but not required.
- Inside Out photos must be standardized. Photographers will be required to edit and crop
all photos to ensure the images are similar and contain consistent backgrounds. A white
background is preferred. Special lighting and color adjustments may also be required.
- Photographers must ensure that no brands, logos or label materials are visible.
- All subjects must be directly visible and not wearing any distracting material on face or
- Faces photographed should not include pets, backs of heads, groups of people, or
Broward 100 is seeking photographers who have experience working with communities and are
able to draw out expressions and emotion from their subjects. Selected photographers will be
assigned locations and required to help organize the individuals in photo shoots. The
portraits should be expressive, emotional and captivating. Photographers will also be required to
shoot during the Inside Out pasting installation to document the event.
Each Inside Out Broward photography project is budgeted for maximum of 5 hours at $125 per hour.
This includes set up, shooting, editing and cropping of all images, as well as supplying all digital
edited images to the County. Photographers will be required to supply all photography
materials including cameras, lenses, tripods, film, lighting equipment, backdrop, etc.
- Photography release forms are required for all groups and will be provided by the County. The
County will be responsible for image upload and printing costs. All digital and printed images will
be the property of Broward County.
Professional photographers who have resided in Broward County for a minimum of 12 months
and have proof of residence are eligible to apply. Applicants must be 18 years or older.
The Broward Cultural Division manages the application process. Photographers will be selected
by the County’s Art of Community Programming Committee. This six-member committee
includes arts professionals, and community representatives. Once the photographers have been
selected they will be assigned Inside Out Broward groups and locations throughout the Broward 100 year, October 2014 through October 2015.
- Photographers are required to apply using the Broward Cultural Division’s online application which can be accessed at: http://www.broward.org/Arts/PublicArt/Pages/Calls.aspx
- Letter of interest – The letter should state interest in the project, outline the photographer’s approach to photography and highlight relevant past experience on projects of similar scope.
- Professional résumé – Include photography experience with budget size of past projects and contact information.
- Electronic images – Photographer may submit 5 digital images of their most recent relevant work in one PDF document. Do not submit any additional images jpg/png/tiff/bmp/gif/ or video format. Please submit one image per page and include an annotated image list (see below).
- Annotated image list – Include the name of photographer, title of work, medium, size, location of image, project budget, and any other relevant information about each image.
*APPLICATION MATERIALS WILL NOT BE RETURNED*
September 30, 2014 at 11:59pm
For Additional Information and Questions
Contact: Dawn Robinson and James Shermer
Phone: (954) 357-7457
FAX: (954) 357-5769
Answer the Call to Artists
View the full version of the call
Guide to the online application