To serve in an advisory capacity to the County Commission and to facilitate coordination between the County, municipalities, the business community and not-for-profit groups to address housing issues including, but not limited to, affordable housing, workforce housing and homelessness.
The Council shall submit an annual report to the County Commission and other organizations represented by the Council.
Charter of Broward County, Florida, Section 11.07, approved by the electorate at a special referendum election held in conjunction with the General Election on November 4, 2008.
At least seventeen (17) and no more than nineteen (19) members, comprised of sixteen (16) voting members. The County Administrator or designee shall serve as a non-voting member.
The Broward County Commission, at its discretion, may appoint additional members, provided that the Council shall be comprised of no more than nineteen (19) members with an odd number of voting members.
The Broward County Commission shall appoint seven (7) to nine (9) members as follows:
1) One member shall be a member of the Broward County Commission:
2) One member shall be the owner of a business that employs at least fifty (50) employees;
3) One member shall be the owner of a business that employs fewer than fifty (50) employees;
4) One member shall be a recipient of Section 8 housing assistance or another housing assistance program;
5) One member shall be the Chief Executive of a recognized, not-for-profit homeless organization;
6) One member shall be the Chief Executive of a not-for-profit housing organization; and
7) One member shall be a banker.
8) One optional voting member without a category.
9) One optional non-voting member without a category.
The Broward League of Cities shall appoint three (3) members as follows:
10) One member shall be an officer of the Broward League of Cities;
11) One member shall be the City Manager of a city in Broward County with more than 50,000 residents; and
12) One member shall be the City Manager of a city in Broward County with less than 50,000 residents.
The following organizations shall appoint seven (7) members as follows:
13) One members shall be a licensed real estate professional appointed by the Florida Association of Realtors;
14) One member shall be appointed by the Builders Association of South Florida;
15) One member shall be the Director or designee from the Florida Atlantic University Center for Urban Redevelopment and Education;
16) One member shall be a member of the Broward County School Board chosen by a majority vote of the School Board;
17) One member shall be appointed by the Broward County Housing Authority; and
18) One member shall be a mortgage broker appointed by the Florida Association of Mortgage Brokers.
19) The Broward County Administrator, or his/her designee, shall serve as a permanent, non-voting member.
Two (2) years from the date of appointment.
If a member of the Housing Council is an elected official and ceases to be an elected official, the individual’s membership on the Council shall terminate, and the position shall be declared vacant. Members of the Council who no longer satisfy the residency or employment/membership requirements of their position shall cease to be members of the Council, and their positions shall be declared vacant. Other circumstances creating a vacancy may be defined by ordinance, and those vacancies shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointments.
A majority of the members.
Office of the County Attorney
Jo Sesodia, Division Director
Planning and Development Management Division
Angela Chin, Senior Planner
African-American Research Library & Cultural Center
2650 Sistrunk Boulevard, Seminar Room 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
The Council shall hold no less than six (6) meetings per year.
Financial Disclosure not required