The business of Broward County Government is to deliver cost-effective and collaborative services to enhance and promote the quality of life for our residents, businesses and visitors.
Vision and Goal Statements
Broward County is a diverse, vibrant, urban community with parks, beaches and green space. Broward has something for everyone. Positioned at the center of Southeast Florida, we are environmentally and economically sustainable and a gateway to the international marketplace. Broward County is a regional body working together with government partners and stakeholders to achieve common goals. We are home to innovation and a great place to live, work, play and visit.
The Broward County Board of County Commissioners strives to create a community characterized by the following:
Unlimited Economic Opportunities
Broward County is the perfect place to start, grow and diversify businessin a supportive governmental environment.The County’s multi-facetedinternational community createsathrivingeconomic market withwell-paying jobs, and a highly-educated, skilled and motivated workforce.Job opportunities are abundant and diverse. We maximize regional, national and global partnerships through innovative technology, use of economic tools and targeted resources.Our airport, seaport and tourism industrywill remain significant economic engines for Broward County.
- Goal 1: Attract and retain targeted industries and other high-wage businesses through public and private partnerships.
- Goal 2: Create economic opportunities by cultivating local small business enterprises within Broward County.
- Goal 3: Increase the economic strength and impact of Port Everglades, the Broward County Convention Center and the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in a sustainable manner; balancing economy, environment and community needs.
- Goal 4: Increase the economic impact of tourism by selling, promoting and marketing the Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County area as a premier destination for visitors and meetings.
- Goal 5: BecomeFlorida's epicenter for worldtrade;especially with the Caribbean, Asia, South and Central Americas.
- Goal 6:Become a market for“Signature Events” through public and private partnerships.
Social Safety Net: An Accessible Collaborative Approach to Health and Human Services
We recognize an obligation to our most vulnerable residents, and have created performance-based delivery modelsemphasizing prevention and appropriate intervention, with a goal of successful recovery, self-sufficiency, safety, security and quality of life. Broward County offers an accessible service delivery system provided in collaboration with private and public entities, to assure achievement of quality care using evidence-based practices and effective delivery methods.
- Goal 1: Support a service delivery system that promotes self-sufficiency and well being.
- Goal 2: Coordinate and maintain quality accessible health and human services in collaboration with public and private partners.
- Goal 3:Support the implementation of quality, creative, cost-effective methods to solving societal challenges, especially housing for persons experiencing, or at risk of, homelessness.
Efficient and Accessible Regional Intermodal Transportation Network
As the premier multimodal transportation network in South Florida, we have a fully integrated, interconnected, public and private transportation system.The Port and Airport, Broward's main gateways, are incorporated into the transportation system.We have an accessible multimodal transportation system able to transport peopleand goods, efficiently and affordably.
- Goal 1: Increase community awareness and support to improve and fund mobility for all, by generating accessing revenue sources, creatively.
- Goal 2: Enhance our efficient, safe, clean, attractive, and interconnected multimodal transportation systems.
- Goal 3: Develop and enhance sustainable transportation facilities at the Port and Airport to meet the demands of travelers, businesses and the community.
A Community WithVibrant Arts,Culture, Recreation and Learning Opportunities
We offer exciting cultural and recreational opportunities and significant economic benefits through effective public and private partnerships.From sawgrass to seagrass, our community’s cultural diversity is augmented with vasteducational and technological resources. Our community blends work and learning, with play, close to home.
- Goal 1: Provide diverse artistic, cultural, educational and historical amenities and programs that contribute to a vibrant, multicultural and economically viable community.
- Goal 2: In coordination with our community partners, maintain and enhance a premier system of parks and libraries that provide a variety of recreational, cultural and learning opportunities for our residents and visitors.
A Pristine, Healthy Environment
Broward County fosters a community that values a vibrant, healthy environment withabundant open space, accessible and distributed throughout the County.Our residents and visitors enjoy pristine water bodies, clean air and healthy beaches, with strict County standards that ensure environmental protection. Our partners include the federal, stateandlocal governments.Together, we embrace best management practices andcost containmentmodels promoting sustainability,conservation of natural resources, environmental stewardship, landscape maintenance, clean air and drinking water, and green buildings.
- Goal 1: Promote, protect and enhance the built environmentin collaboration with governmental and private partners.
- Goal 2: Encourage and promote community stewardship and appreciation of the natural environment and the conservation and wise use of our resources.
A Sustainable, Creative Approach to Community Redevelopment and Housing
Broward County is a desirable community where people can live, work and play with abundant amenities and infrastructure to accommodate residents and visitors. Our diverse communities enjoy a tropical climate, beautiful beaches and abundant green space, as well as cultural, recreational and economic opportunities.Attractive interconnected neighborhoods comprise the County andoffer a variety ofhousing optionsfor ownership or rental.
- Goal 1: Facilitate a regional approach to growth and redevelopment through coordination and collaboration at the federal, state, county and local levels.
- Goal 2: Strengthen stakeholder partnerships to increase the availability of affordable housing options for all, both for purchase and rental.
- Goal 3: Develop, through effective community collaboration, neighborhoods and communities incorporating intermodal connectivity, while integrating energy efficiency and other livability standards and initiatives.
A Fiscally-Sustainable and Transparent Government
Broward County government takes a responsible and disciplined approach to fiscal management. We are proactive and flexible, focusing on operational efficiency and performance improvement opportunities.We are dedicated to providing open and easy access to programs, services and information about Broward County government to residents, visitors and businesses.
- Goal 1: Enhance financial stability through an emphasis on multiyear planning, securing additional revenue sources and developing fiscally sound policies.
- Goal 2: Raise awareness of County programs and services and their value to the community.
- Goal 3: Improve operational effectiveness, efficiency and transparency.