The goal of code compliance is to promote and protect the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of Broward County through the enforcement of the Broward County Zoning Code and the Broward County Code of Ordinances.
To report a possible Code Violation:
- Call 954-765-4400, option “8”
- Report a code violation online
- Visit Code and Zoning Enforcement Section on the 2nd floor of the Broward County Government Center West, 1 N. University Drive, Plantation, FL 33324
If you receive a notice of violation, carefully read the notice to find out what the violation is, correct the problem, and do so promptly. If you are not sure what the violation(s) are for or would like to speak with the issuing officer please contact them using the information provided on the notice. You can ask for additional time provided you are making progress on the violations. Some of the problems may be serious and correction should not be delayed.
Property Ground Maintenance
- Keep the exterior portion of your property clear of storage of prohibited items except usable lawn, garden, pool or patio furniture or equipment, barbecues, toys, bicycles, or trash cans being used by the residents of the property.
- Only store building and construction materials on property if a proper building permit has been obtained.
- Maintain driveway and off-street parking areas free from discoloration and disrepair, resurfacing asphalt when needed.
- Outdoor storage of junk, wrecked vehicles are prohibited.
- An inoperable motor vehicle must be stored in a carport or garage.
- Vehicle may not be parked on unpaved surfaces in front, side and rear yard areas.
- Only operable vehicles with current registration are allowed to be temporarily parked in the swale areas if vehicles can be parked safely and fully on the swale. Some swales may not be wide enough to meet the parking requirement.
|| Yard Sale Activities
- Limit of 2 per calendar year.
- No more than 3 consecutive days.
- Must not contain commercial items or products from outside of residence.
- Signs may not exceed 2 square feet in size and may not be displayed more than 1 day prior to sale and must be removed at the end of the yard sale.
|| Home Occupations (any business conducted from your home)
- Properly licensed and meet strict criteria, including no prohibited storage or signs of existence of home office from the exterior may be visible.
- Business activities operating at residences such commercial car washing, food preparation and sales to the public are strictly prohibited.
- Must apply for and obtain a Certificate of Use from Broward County Zoning, call 954-765-4400 option “5.”
- For information on obtaining a Local Business Tax Receipt, call 954-831-4000.
|| Junk, Trash, Rubbish and Abandoned Items
- Discarded items that are allowed to accumulate that are valueless, or have only nominal or salvage value and are abandoned or left unprotected from the elements on swale or real property are prohibited.
- Trash containers and household bulk items should not be placed out for collection more than 24 hours prior to your day of collection and removed from the curbside within 12 hours after the end of the collection day.
Currently licensed boats, trailers, motor homes, campers, etc. may be parked or
stored on private property according to the following limitations:
- Limited to those belonging to occupants of the property or guests.
- Electrical service connection may be attached for a maximum of 48 hours prior to departure.
- All boats over 12 feet in length must be on a currently licensed boat trailer.
- Only 1 boat and 1 recreational vehicle may be kept outside of a carport or fully enclosed building.
- May not encroach onto a street or visually obstruct vehicle egress from adjacent properties.
|| Yard Maintenance
- Mow the lawn so that grass, weeds, or other vegetation is 6 inches or less in height.
- Mow to the edge of any paved roadway or street and maintain swale area in between the sidewalk and street with grass.
- Trees over the sidewalks must be trimmed up to a minimum clearance height of 8 feet.
- Hedges and shrubs must be kept neatly trimmed and prevented from obstructing sidewalk and visibility.
Avoid blowing grass clippings into street. Residents and lawn care professionals should be reminded that sweeping or blowing grass clippings and litter into the street is against county ordinances. Section 39-85(c) of the Broward County Zoning Code prohibits grass clippings, vegetative material and/or vegetative debris from being washed, swept or blown off into storm water drains, ditches, conveyances, water bodies, wetlands, sidewalks, or roadways, either intentionally or accidentally in unincorporated area neighborhoods. Broward County’s Anti-Litter Law (Section 21-64) prohibits putting litter, such as grass clippings in streets, gutters, or other portions of the storm water drainage system such as storm drains.
PROPERTY INSPECTION CHECKLIST
The exterior of your home must be free from discoloration and in good condition. Inspectors look at the following items of the exterior of your home:
- Roof coverings
- Roof parts including rafters, trusses, soffit, and fascia
- Exterior walls
- Windows and doors
- Railings on stairs, landings, and porches
Actions to take to pass inspection:
- Repair rotted wood, broken or missing boards, siding or shingles
- Make all exterior parts weather tight, rodent proof, and sound
- Remove signs of discoloration, such as rust stains, peeling paint or graffiti
A Code Enforcement Officer may also issue a non-criminal citation with fines, for violations that exist or remain uncorrected. Penalties range from $50-$250 for first offenses and $100-$500 for repeat violations. In addition, the county may arrange for health and safety violations to be abated such as a property to be mowed or cleared of junk items, junk vehicles, and other nuisances.
For more information visit Broward County's Permitting and Licensing website: www.broward.org/permittingandlicensing/pages/default.aspx
For more detailed information on various Codes of Ordinances, procedures, and penalties involved with Code Compliance, refer to the relevant codes at http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10288