The PACE program is a financing option for energy efficiency and conservation projects available to both homeowners and business owners in Broward County.
Property owners have the choice between 5 private finance providers (PACE Providers). Property owners voluntarily agree to the program terms for financing, and repay through a non-ad valorem special assessment added to their annual property tax bill. Therefore, however you pay your annual property taxes (for example, direct lump-sum payment or from an escrow account) is how your PACE project will be paid back.
Qualifying improvements include: rooftop solar panels, solar water heater, energy efficient air conditioning unit, cool roof, impact windows, insulation, and more. In general, most products that can be permanently affixed to a property and reduce on-site electric usage, assist in hurricane protection, and/or produce onsite renewable electricity.
For questions regarding specific qualifying improvements, financing terms, and list of contractors, contact the individual PACE Providers.
There may be other types of financing available to the property owners and Broward County does not guarantee that the PACE program is the best financing option. Property owners should obtain help in selecting the option that is most appropriate for their particular financial situation.
PACE is independently administered by five PACE Providers in Broward County. Below lists website links, and contact information for each of the PACE Providers. It is up to the property owner to make the best financial decision for financing their project. Each PACE Provider administers the program on behalf of a District. State of Florida law allows Districts to levy additional taxes. This allows the PACE Providers to directly bill the Tax Collector to add a non-ad valorem special assessment to the annual property tax bill.
PACE Providers do allow for prepayment, you should contact your PACE Provider to discuss prepayment details and options.
Counterpointe Energy Solutions
CounterpointeSRE™ Program (Commercial):
The "AllianceNRG" Program provides financing to residential property owners, and the "CounterpointeSRE" Program provides financing for commercial property owners.
A list of approved contractors for both Programs is available online to property owners once they apply.
Program Guidelines are available upon request.
PACE Funding Group, LLC
PACE Funding Group, LLC administers the "PACEfunding" Program. PACEfunding provides financing to only residential property owners. No commercial financing at this time.
A list of approved contractors is available to property owners once they apply.
Program Guidelines are available upon request.
Renew Financial administers the "RenewPACE" Program. RenewPACE provides financing to residential and commercial property owners.
List of Approved RenewPACE Contractors
RenewPACE Program Handbook
Renovate America administers the "HERO" Program. HERO provides financing to only residential property owners. No commercial financing at this time.
List of Approved HERO Contractors
HERO Program Sample Documents
Ygrene administers the "Clean Energy Program." Ygrene provides financing to residential and commercial property owners.
List of Approved Ygrene Contractors
Ygrene Program Guidelines
Call the PACE Providers to Apply!
Getting Started with PACE
- Review the list of PACE Frequently Asked Questions and read the Be PACE Smart document before applying for financing.
- Understand that each PACE Provider has program guidelines, and that there are differences between the providers administering the program in Broward County. It is up to the property owner to make the best financial decision for financing their project.
- It is highly recommended that property owners perform a comprehensive energy audit on their property before committing to qualifying improvements. To find an energy auditor, contact RESNET, BPI, or the Florida Building Energy Rating System program. Also, FPL offers free Onsite Home Energy Surveys for customers.
- Visit the Department of Energy's Energy Saver webpage for information on efficiency measures, products and services, and design strategies for saving energy.
- Each PACE Provider has a list of their "Approved Contractors" that go through the Provider's application process. Review the list of Approved Contractors linked above for each PACE Provider. As with any home improvement project, you may want to get multiple quotes for the project. Helpful Tips: Contractors
Understanding the Assessment
Under Florida law, property taxes stay with the property when it is sold and the same is true of an assessment. However, the seller’s lender or the buyer's lender (Mortgage Company) may require the seller to pay off the remaining outstanding balance of the assessment before the property owner refinances or sells the property. In addition, by law, property owners must provide notice of the assessment to the buyer prior to sale of the property.
Failure to pay the PACE assessment could trigger foreclosure and property loss
even if the property owner is current on other mortgage lien(s).