Martin was born in Pembroke Pines, Florida on June 19, 1977 and is a lifelong resident of Broward County. Martin comes from a family of dedicated community activists. His father, Monroe Kiar, is a former Councilmember and Mayor of the Town of Davie. His mother Mariann Kiar is a retired school principal and his brother Marc Kiar is a school teacher and athletic director here in Broward County. His sister Casey Kiar Lee is a business woman and dedicated community activist in Broward County.
Martin graduated from Western High School, which is located in the Town of Davie and thereafter, earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from Palm Beach Atlantic University. Martin then attended Law school at Nova Southeastern University. Martin was a member of the Nova Southeastern University Law Review, graduated Magna Cum Laude and earned his Juris Doctorate. After graduating from law school, Martin was appointed to and served his community on the Town of Davie School Advisory Board, the Town of Davie Airport Advisory Board and the Broward County Housing and Finance Authority. Martin also worked as the Assistant Town Attorney and Assistant Municipal Prosecutor for the Town of Davie.
In 2006, Martin was elected to serve in the Florida House of Representatives. He was re-elected to the Florida House of Representatives in 2008 and in 2010. In 2012, Martin was elected to the Broward County Commission and now serves as the Broward County Commissioner for District 1. Martin is happily married to his wife Kelly and they have two daughters, Brianne and Camryn, and a puppy named Cooper.
Martin has received numerous awards including:
- American Cancer Society, Legislative Award 2007, 2009
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Broward County Appreciation Award
- Broward County AFL-CIO, Appreciation Award 2010
- Broward Democratic Party, Democrat of the Year 2007
- Broward Young Democrats, Trailblazer of the Year 2007
- Coral Springs Parkland Democratic Club, New Legislator of the Year 2008
- Disabled American Veterans-Department of Florida Appreciation Award
- Disabled American Veterans-Department of Florida, Citation 2007
- Exceptional Student Education Advisory Council Appreciation Award
- FEA Freshman Friend of Education
- FEA Friend of Education Award 2010
- Humane Society's Humane State Legislator Award 2011
- ICUF All-Star 2008
- ICUF Guardian of Independent Higher Education Award 2010
- Independent Colleges and University of Florida, Distinguished Alumni Award 2008
- South Broward Board Appreciation Award 2007
- Tyler Scott Goldberg Foundation 2009 Water Sport Safety Leadership Award
- Weston Democratic Club Appreciation Award 2007
Rep. Kiar served in the Florida House of Representatives from 2006 - 2012 and has a long list of legislation that he has sponsored and co-sponsored. View the list.