Who is a Lobbyist?
A Lobbyist is any individual who engages in lobbying, regardless of whether he or she receives any compensation for such lobbying.
What is Lobbying?
Lobbying means communicating directly or indirectly, in person, by telephone, by letter, or by any other form of communication, on behalf of any other with any County Commissioner, any member of any decision-making body under the jurisdiction of the Board, or any County employee, where the lobbyist seeks to influence a decision to be made by the Board, a decision to be made by any decision-making body under the jurisdiction of the Board, or a final procurement decision to be made by a County employee.
How do I register to lobby in Broward County?
How do I cancel my registration?
Send notification, in writing (or email at firstname.lastname@example.org), to Carol Powell, Broward County Administration, 115 S. Andrews Avenue, Room 409, Fort Lauderdale 33301.
In accordance with Sec.1-262(f) of the Broward County Code of Ordinances, discontinuance of lobbying activities during a year shall not relieve the lobbyist of the requirement to file the Annual Statement of Expenditures and Contingency Fees for that portion of the year that they were registered to lobby.
What are the penalties for non-compliance?
The Board shall warn, reprimand, suspend, or prohibit the violator from appearing on behalf of any person before the Board or any decision-making body under the jurisdiction of the Board or from otherwise lobbying for any person in any fashion for a period of up to two (2) years.
What is a Cone of Silence?
- Prohibition on communication during the procurement process.
- Applies to Commissioners and their staffs, County Administration and anyone serving on an SNC or anyone who evaluates or recommends selection in the procurement process.
- Begins upon short listing.
- Terminates upon Board action
- Does not prohibit communication at duly noticed meeting or in writing for clarification or additional information.
- Violation could render award voidable by Board.