2016-2020 Commission Strategic Plan - Vision, Values, and Goals
The Broward County Board of County Commissioners Envisions
- From our Sawgrass to our Seagrass, a home for everyone seeking a sense of community and an exceptional quality of life, and a destination for visitors from every corner of the globe.
- A model County, governed in an open and ethical manner, where innovative ideas are encouraged, and public and private sectors work collaboratively to achieve shared goals.
- A vibrant economy with a diverse, skilled workforce, in a County offering unique advantages that attract all types of businesses to create equitable, countywide prosperity.
- A sustainable system of world-class intermodal transportation, infrastructure, quality human services, public safety, accessible housing, recreation, arts and culture, complementing and balancing our natural resources and environment.
The Broward County Board of County Commissioners strives to create a community characterized by the following values:
- Ensuring economic opportunities for all people and businesses in Broward
- Prominently branding “Broward” on County property, programs and services
- Approaching human services collaboratively and compassionately, with special emphasis on persons and families experiencing homelessness
- Cooperatively delivering an efficient and accessible regional intermodal transportation network
- Encouraging investments in renewable energy, sustainable practices and environmental protection
- Cultivating community culture, arts, recreation and life-long learning
- Offering sustainable, compatible, innovative housing options for all income-levels, including integrated supportive housing and rapid-rehousing
- Consistently delivering responsive, efficient, quality services to the public and internal customers
VALUE: Ensuring economic opportunities for all people and businesses in Broward
- Goal: Attract and retain all types of business, including small businesses and not-for-profits, through provision of effective incentives, technical assistance, and support.
- Goal: Assure businesses receive appropriate workforce development support through partnerships with the Alliance, chambers of commerce, colleges and universities, CareerSource and other avenues, as available.
- Goal: Increase the economic strength and impact of revenue-generating County enterprises balancing economic, environmental, and community needs.
- Goal: Evaluate the economic and employment needs of the community using thorough assessment of underemployment data and reasons for unemployment; use results to shape local, state, and federal policy positions and advocacy efforts.
- Goal: Fully-implement and test the effectiveness of the Workforce Investment Act Pilot.
VALUE: Prominently branding “Broward” on County property, programs and services
- Goal: Increase public awareness and understanding of the County’s role in providing programming and services.
- Goal: Perform a comprehensive inventory of County assets, programs, and services; develop a catalogue that is managed centrally, with cross-agency input on branding enhancements.
- Goal: Ensure consistent branding by establishing a countywide policy and procedure(s) that include proactive and mandatory quality and compliance reviews.
VALUE: Approaching human services collaboratively and compassionately, with special emphasis on persons and families experiencing homelessness
- Goal: Effectively advocate for and seek local, state and federal funder support that adequately addresses the health and human services needs of the entire community, through a truly coordinated system of care.
- Goal: Deliver evidence-based services to the most vulnerable, many of whom are ineligible through other systems of care, and connect those customers to sustainable support.
- Goal: Collaborate with public and private partners to find creative, equitable, and responsible solutions to systemic community problems, especially housing for persons experiencing, or at risk of, homelessness.
VALUE: Cooperatively delivering an efficient and accessible regional intermodal transportation network
- Goal: Develop, market and achieve passage of a transit surtax to support a variety of long-term, regional transit and infrastructural needs.
- Goal: Cooperatively design and receive federal and state funding support for Phase 2 and implement Phase 1, of the Wave Modern Streetcar.
- Goal: Support the development, design and construction of sustainable, multi-modal transportation facilities throughout the County, to meet the demands of residents, travelers, businesses and the community.
VALUE: Encouraging investments in renewable energy, sustainable practices and environmental protection
- Goal: Seek funding for, implement policies and pursue projects promoting, the use of alternative energy, resource conservation, sustainable practices and environmental protection.
- Goal: Proactively lead in the planning, design and construction of projects to support community resilience and climate adaptation, including coordination with other entities to foster resilient design as part of all local and regional projects.
- Goal: Increase water quality protection efforts and lead creative approaches to water storage and aquifer recharge, as well as diversification of water supplies, regionally.
- Goal: Educate, through a variety of means, about the fragile South Florida ecosystems and impacts of severe weather, sea level rise and climate change on the region.
VALUE: Cultivating community culture, arts, recreation and life-long learning
- Goal: Provide diverse artistic, cultural, educational, and historical amenities and programs that contribute to a vibrant, multi-cultural and economically-viable community.
- Goal: In coordination with our community partners, market and deliver world-class recreational opportunities.
- Goal: Develop and enhance Library programs and various life-long-learning opportunities for our residents and visitors.
VALUE: Offering sustainable, compatible, innovative housing options for all income-levels, including integrated supportive housing and rapid-rehousing
- Goal: Facilitate a regional approach to growth and redevelopment through coordination and collaboration at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Goal: Strengthen stakeholder partnerships to increase the availability of affordable housing of all types, countywide, in every community.
- Goal: Develop, through effective community collaboration, neighborhoods and communities incorporating intermodal connectivity, while integrating energy efficiency, community resilience, and other livability standards and initiatives.
VALUE: Consistently delivering responsive, efficient, quality services to the public and internal customers
- Goal: Create a system of expectation and accountability across the institution that assures communication, performance review, and continuous improvement.
- Goal: Offer effective mandatory and optional coursework, addressing the lines of business and needs of the entire organization.
- Goal: Grounded in the intrinsic value of quality Public Service, respond to every customer, internal or external, expeditiously, thoroughly and professionally.
- Goal: Build into every process and service effective checks and balances that do not cause inefficiency, but rather ensure consistency, continuity, and quality.