share   tweet

Haz Mat

 Haz Mat


The Environmental and Consumer Protection Division (ECPD) regulates the use, storage, handling and disposal of Hazardous Materials.

If a business uses, stores or handles 25 gallons or more of hazardous materials, the business requires a Hazardous Materials License.

A hazardous material is defined as any substance or mixture of substances which meets any one (1) of the following criteria:

  • Hazardous waste as defined or identified in 40 CFR parts 260—265 and appendices, promulgated pursuant to the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, 42 U.S.C. § 9601, et seq., as amended, and rule 62-730, F.A.C., as amended.
  • Any substance listed in Article XIII, Wellfield Protection, Appendix A, of Chapter 27 of the Broward County Code of Ordinances (once at Municipal Code Web Site, select Chapter 27 to show all Articles. Click on Article XIII).
  • Any petroleum product or any material or substance containing discarded petroleum products.
  • Any substance identified as hazardous (see Title III, Consolidated List of Chemicals) in the most current version of any of the following regulations:
  • Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) (42 U.S.C. § 9601, et seq.).
  • Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) (42 U.S.C. § 11001, et seq.).
  • Hazardous Material Transportation Act (49 U.S.C. § 1801, et seq.).
  • Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) (7 U.S.C. § 136(a)-(y)).

Anyone in the process of treating, storing, or disposing of hazardous waste in the State of Florida must have a permit from the State of Florida.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​