A Penny for Transportation: Get the Facts
On November 6th voters across Broward County approved the Penny Tax for Transportation improvement projects over the next 30 years. This penny surtax is designed to create connectivity, relieve traffic congestion, improve transit service and expand the availability of multimodal transportation. Related projects include more transportation options to help Broward County remain competitive as a destination for business and travel. Now is the time to get educated and learn what's in it for you and your community -- including a 30% CBE participation goal the Broward County Board of County Commissioners unanimously voted to adopt for projects funded under the penny surtax. Visit the Penny For Transportation website to get the facts, including a list of projects in each city.
OESBD Director to Speak in Puerto Rico
In November, the Puerto Rican Hispanic Chamber of Broward County in conjunction with Marketing Management Associates, Intacto and ERC Group will host a half day event to foster the entrepreneurial spirit within the Puerto Rico and Florida business communities. OESBD Director Sandy-Michael McDonald will represent Broward County at the event on behalf of Mayor Beam Furr (District 6 Commissioner). Presented by the upcoming Puerto Rico Florida Business Convention & Expo 2019 (2019 PRFBCE), this event is designed to build bridges for the Puerto Rico and Florida Hispanic business community to ensure their success. As a guest speaker, Mr. McDonald will join other key speakers including the Honorable Manuel Laboy Rivera, Secretary, Department of Economic Development to discuss such topics as Government Aids and Development Programs, and Permits and Requirements. The event is scheduled from 8AM to 1PM on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at the Verdanza Hotel in Isla Verde, Puerto Rico. For more information on the event and to register, please visit the 2019 PRFBCE expo website. NOTE: There is a fee to attend.
Get Your Piece of the Pie! More Opps for Your Biz Info Sessions
OESBD presented a series of FREE Information Session to assist attendees with learning about new opportunities of doing business with Broward County Government. Discussion topics included:
- How to tap into Broward County Government's annual spend - Averaging over $600M
- Updates on NEW total gross receipts cap for Construction Industry - Increased to $9M
- Benefits of Personal Net Worth cap - Increased to $1.32M
- Broward County Main Library | Thursday, June 21 | 4 to 5:30 PM - Registration CLOSED
- South Regional / Broward College Library | Thursday, July 19 | 4 to 5:30 PM - Registration CLOSED
- Venue changed; new location address: 7300 Pines Blvd., Pembroke Pines, FL 33024
- Margate Branch Library | Saturday, August 11 | 11 AM to 12:30 PM - Registration CLOSED
- Urban League of Broward County | Thursday, September 20 | 3 to 4:30 PM - Registration CLOSED
- Northwest Regional Library | Monday, October 8 | 6 to 7:30 PM - Registration CLOSED - Held in collaboration with Commissioner Michael Udine (District 3)
Who Should Attend? All Trades - A&E | Construction | Contract Services | Cultural & Event Industry Services | Commodity Suppliers