The Board of Broward County Commissioners recently approved the Economic Development Program for the Broward Municipal Services District (BMSD). This program enables enhancements to businesses located on the commercial corridors of the BMSD for the purpose of private investment and employment opportunities. The purpose of the program is to spur development, eliminate blight and support existing businesses in the BMSD by assisting them in making improvements to their commercial properties through grant funding.
>>We are pleased to announce that the application period for the Broward Municipal Services District (BMSD) Economic Development Program is OPEN!
If you are interested in applying for grant funding, please contact us to discuss your plans for improvements and assist you in completing the grant application.
Grant Eligibility Requirements
A. Applicant site must be abutting the BMSD commercial corridors. Parcels must be free from code violations/liens and must be compliant with certificate of use, building code and zoning ordinances; and must be free of pending 40-year inspections and expired permits.
B. Commercial structures and vacant lots are eligible. Residential structures are only qualified for demolition grants. (See Section H below).
C. Applicants must be the owner of a property or legal designee.
D. The applicant must be the owner of record or legal designee; agree to use the property in a lawful manner regarding occupancy, zoning ordinance and the property maintenance code; maintain the premises in a decent, safe and sanitary condition pursuant to applicable codes and ordinances (including agreeing to operate during lawful hours); and pay all insurance and property taxes annually.
E. Applicant shall own no delinquent property taxes or other fees to Broward County.
F. Owner must submit proof of financial capability.
G. The application package must be complete.
H. Properties that carry a homestead exemption are ineligible.
I. Project design must be consistent with BMSD design criteria.
The program will target businesses located on the following commercial corridors in the BMSD:
- Broward Boulevard (north side only) from NW 24th Avenue West to NW 31st Avenue
- Sunrise Boulevard from NW 24th Avenue West to NW 31st Avenue
- NW 27th Avenue from Broward Boulevard North to Sunrise Boulevard
- State Road 7/U.S. 441 (west side only) from Peters Road to Interstate 595 (Unincorporated parcels only)
- Peters Road (south side only) from State Road 7 to SW 45th Avenue
- Davie Boulevard Extension from State Road 7 to SW 45th Avenue
The program includes the following components:
- Facade / Property Improvement Grant Program - Allows for an 80% County / 20% Business match on projects that include improvements to existing business façade elements, such as general external building design, signage and aesthetic improvements. The maximum County participation in this program based on available funding is $200,000.
- Business Development / Redevelopment Grant Program - Allows for a 50% County / 50% Business match for business-led, non-facade funding on redevelopment projects in BMSD. The maximum County participation in this program based on available funding is $300,000.
- Demolition Matching Grant Program - Allows for a 50% County / 50% Business match to assist in blight eradication and removal of unsafe structures. The maximum County participation in this program based on available funding is $100,000.
- Strategic Land Assembly Program - Allows for County assembly of lots in order to create larger parcels of land or green space subject to further development along the commercial corridors.
- Revolving Loan Program - A short-term/gap financing measure designed to increase the sustainability and drive the growth of existing BMSD businesses. The Revolving Loan Program will be managed by a third party lending organization selected through a County procurement process.
BMSD Pilot Projects:
For more information and to apply, contact us at 954-357-6400.
Simple Steps for Starting Your Business
BMSD Entrepreneur Development Program | Saturdays, September 8, 15, 22, and 29, 2018 | 10:15 AM to 1 PM
The OESBD is collaborating with Broward SCORE and Florida Community Bank to provide the 5-module Simple Steps for Starting Your Business to BMSD residents ONLY. Attendees will learn about the following topics:
- September 8 - Ready to Start?
- September 15 - Great Idea!
- September 22 - Marketing your Business
- September 29* - Financial Matters, the Go or No-Go Decision
Need a Job? Want Help for your Business? BMSD business owners and residents: Are YOU having a hard time finding a job? Is your business ready to grow? Are you an employer seeking applicants? This FREE workshop was designed to share valuable information on resources to empower you!
Information was provided on assistance programs for:
- Small Business owners located in the BMSD area
- BMSD residents who may be hard-to-hire* and/or are in need of resources to position themselves for viable employment opportunities
- Employers of hard-to-hire* County residents
Our key community partners were on hand to offer the 411 on employment resources for residents and business owners in the BMSD.
Invited presenting agencies:
- Broward County Commissioner Dale V.C. Holness, District 9
- Broward County Office of Economic and Small Business Development (OESBD)
- Broward County Libraries - Creation Station
- OIC of South Florida
- CareerSource Broward
- Urban League of Broward County
- Atlantic Technical College
For more information, contact us at 954-357-6400. *"Hard-to-Hire" is defined as a person who (a) has a criminal felony record; (b) a record of a physical or mental impairment that limits major life activities; (c) doesn't have a high school diploma or GED; OR (d) has been homeless for at least six (6) of the last twelve (12) months.