As an added incentive, monetary rewards may be given. Ordinance 94-17 was approved by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners on March 8, 1994 to amend Chapter 27, Article I, Division 4, Section 27-41 to provide for the payment of monetary rewards to members of the general public whose reporting of environmental crimes or pollution incidents results in the assessment and collection of civil penalties from said violators.
The policy for awarding monetary rewards to citizens who report environmental crimes or pollution incidents is:
- A citizen may report an environmental crime or pollution incident to the Environmental Protection and Growth Management Department (see Reporting Environmental Violations).
- If the information provided by the citizen results in an enforcement case and penalties are collected as a result of a settlement agreement or a Final Order, the citizen may be eligible for a monetary reward. General nuisance complaints such as noise or odor are not eligible for awards.
- All county employees and their families and employees of State or Federal Environmental agencies are not eligible to receive any monetary rewards under this program.
- If during the investigation, Broward County determines that the citizen reporting the violation was a party to or aided in creating the violation, the citizen will become ineligible for a reward.
- If a citizen identifying a violation requires that his/her identity remain anonymous, the citizen will become ineligible for a reward (although the complaint will be followed up on).
- Based on the results of the final disposition (see ENVIROS to track Enforcement status), Broward County will make a determination as to what rewards are appropriate for issuance. The following table will be used to determine the amount of each award:
Less than $ 500.00
$ 500.00 to $ 2,500.00
$ 2,501.00 to $ 7,500.00
$ 7,501.00 to $ 10,000
Greater than $10,000
Each citizen is limited to a maximum of $500 in rewards per fiscal year.
Contact Enforcement Administration at (954) 519-1210 for more information.