SUMMARY : Under close to general supervision, performs a variety of general buildings and grounds relates work at an assigned facility. Work involves performing advanced laboring tasks requiring limited skills or special knowledges acquired through training or work experience. This classification is distinguished from Maintenance Worker I by the possible leadworker responsibilities and by the greater experience requirements.
· Maintains grounds and landscape areas in order to ensure that grounds and landscape areas are presentable, clean, and safe.
· Performs a variety of facility maintenance work in order to ensure a clean, safe environment for the public and County employees, minimize major repair/replacement costs, and/or extend the useful life of equipment/fixtures.
· Cleans offices, break rooms, restrooms, halls, shop areas, pavilions, sidewalks, etc. in order to provide a clean, sanitary, and safe environment for the public and other staff.
· Interacts with the public and/or other County employees in order to give directions/information, explain work activities/procedures, identify their service needs, and/or resolve day-to-day operational issues.
· Sets out temporary traffic control devices at the work site in order to provide a safe work environment and facilitate safe, efficient traffic flow.
· Prepares a variety of log sheets in order to document work activities, track equipment usage, and provide summary information to management.
· Maintains a variety of landscape and construction related equipment in order to ensure that the equipment operates safely and appropriately when needed, extend the useful life of the equipment, minimize down time, and minimize major repair/replacement costs.
· Moves a variety of furniture and related items in order to relocate/rearrange work stations/offices, set up for meetings, activities, and events.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE : (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Knowledge of procedures and techniques for maintaining and repairing a variety of landscape related tools and equipment.
· Knowledge of basic buildings and grounds maintenance procedures.
· Ability to read, understand, and follow instructions/guidelines associated with a variety of general maintenance work.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County = s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies .
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of techniques for performing a variety of general facilities maintenance work.
· Knowledge of established procedures for trimming a variety of trees, shrubs, and bushes.
· Knowledge of established safety procedures for operating a variety of general building maintenance tools and equipment.
· Knowledge of established safety procedures for operating a variety of landscape maintenance related equipment.
· Ability to operate a variety of tools/equipment associated with performing a variety of general maintenance work.
· Ability to operate a variety of landscape related tools/equipment.
· Ability to learn to perform a variety of work activities associated with general maintenance work.
· Ability to multi-task.
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
· Ability to bend, stoop, reach, and/or climb to complete assigned work activities.
· Ability to work outdoors in a variety of temperature/weather conditions.
· Ability to lift, carry, push, and/or pull up to 30 lbs. without assistance.
· Ability to work with limited supervision.
· Ability to operate a variety of motor vehicles.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Successful completion of job related tests. Two (2) years of full time experience in building and/or grounds maintenance work desired.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT:
Possession of a valid Florida drivers license.
Bargaining Unit: Blue Collar
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec. Estab./Revised: E 10/1976 R 04/2012