NATURE OF WORK
This is advanced secretarial and clerical work in the performance of secretarial duties for an Assistant County Administrator, Division Head, of the largest county divisions, or for staff agencies with organization-wide impact.
Work involves providing secretarial services or performing all secretarial and clerical tasks requiring frequent and extensive utilization of high level secretarial skills. Work includes independently preparing correspondence, taking dictation and transcribing notes in a typewritten form or machine transcription using word processing on a personal computer. Work requires the exercise of considerable initiative, independent judgment, and discretion in handling delegated administrative details, and carrying to completion a variety of complex secretarial and clerical duties. Guidance and direction are often provided to subordinate clerical employees. General supervision is received from a high level administrative official; however, incumbents work independently in carrying out secretarial responsibilities within the framework of established policies and procedures.
· Acts as an administrative assistant to an Assistant County Administrator, a county division head supervising the largest county divisions, or staff agencies with organization wide impact.
· Relieves an administrative superior of routine administrative details, such as: requisitioning or ordering supplies and equipment; checking reports for accuracy and conformance to policies and standards; assisting in preparing agendas for meetings and conferences.
· Takes dictation and/or performs machine transcription which may vary by subject matter to include legal, engineering, financial and other technical or specialized terminology.
· Makes appointments and maintains calendar; acts as receptionist and answers requests for non-technical information.
· Makes arrangements for meetings or conferences, informs participants and provides background information.
· Supervises and trains other clerical employees as assigned.
· Attends conferences; distributes agenda; takes minutes; types and distributes report of proceedings.
· Assembles and summarizes material from files; cross references data and locates information requested by general instructions from the supervisor.
· Independently drafts correspondence for assigned administrative official.
· Keeps various activity and production records which may involve assembling reports from other sections of the department.
· Assists employees in other locations by relaying instructions, advising on departmental policies and requesting information needed by supervisor.
· Types various activity reports, requisitions, work orders, budget transfers, personnel forms and similar documents specified by administrative regulations.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
Thorough knowledge of secretarial procedures including correspondence preparation, filing systems, office machine operation, business English and commercial arithmetic.
Thorough knowledge of the clerical procedures of office supervision.
Thorough knowledge of the clerical procedures applicable to the organizational activity to which assigned.
Ability to take and transcribe dictation or to transcribe dictation tapes into word processing software at a high rate of speed.
Ability to operate a personal computer and/or electric typewriter at an accurate and rapid rate of speed.
Ability to search for and compile data from files and other sources applicable to topic of concern.
Ability to make clerical and minor administrative decisions in accordance with office procedures, ordinances and departmental rules.
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, county officials, and the general public.
Skill in dictation and the use of a typewriter, and/or dictating machine and a personal computer.
Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of BrowardCounty's Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Successful completion of job related tests. Six (6) years experience in secretarial and clerical work desired.
Bargaining Unit: Unrepresented
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec. Estab./Revised: E1/91 R04/12