SUMMARY: Under general supervision, performs specialized technical work with field supervisory and administrative duties in the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) program.
· Provides oversight and direction in the operation of facility and field operations involved in the collection of hazardous wastes.
· Monitors contractor operations and performance for adherence to standard operating procedures, safety protocols and contract terms.
· Processes and prepares waste for shipment per regulatory guidelines and administers shipping documents.
· Coordinates and develops work schedules for contract, temporary and support staff.
· Conducts facility and waste inventory inspections and issues corrective actions.
· Operates equipment including forklift, straight truck and materials handling tools in the operation and maintenance of collection facilities.
· Provides information and guidance to the public on the proper management of hazardous wastes.
· Prepares program and inventory reports.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE : (Applicants are expected possess the required Knowledge’s, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Knowledge of standard safety protocols employed in hazardous waste handling.
· Knowledge of basic chemistry and chemical classes.
· Knowledge of environmental regulations and regulatory principles.
· Knowledge of solid waste, recycling, and household hazardous waste management strategies.
· Knowledge of regulatory requirements used in the collection, transportation and disposal of hazardous wastes.
· Ability to prepare and conduct presentations in promotional exercises.
· Ability to identify and classify chemicals and process and package them in accordance with regulatory guidelines.
· Ability to read and interpret regulations and operating plans.
· Ability to prepare routine reports, correspondence, and operating plans.
· Ability to perform strenuous work while wearing personal protective equipment such as a respirator.
· Ability to operate equipment such as a forklift, straight truck, and trailered equipment.
· Ability to operate a personal computer and related business software applications.
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County = s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies .
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of Broward County hazardous waste collection and disposal programs and procedures.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with major course work in environmental science or related field; two (2) years of experience in working with hazardous wastes; or any equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s license, and a Class "B" Commercial Driver's License with air brake and hazardous materials endorsements
Bargaining Unit: Unrepresented
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Class Spec: Established: 10/03 R10/13