NATURE OF WORK
The mid-level practitioner(s) which may be an Advance Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) and/or Physician Assistant (PA) are qualified health professionals to provide nursing and general medical services provided by Florida Statue.
Under the direction of a physician, performs general medical services in clinical examination and treatment for one or more County health programs including those provided by the Nancy J. Cotterman Treatment Center and Broward Addiction Recovery Center. Work includes performing all aspects of nursing and/or health care services. Employ¬ees in this classification exercise medical judgment and skill in the performance of their duties. All services are performed in accordance with standard nursing and physician assistant practices, the laws of the State of Florida, the standards of the applicable accreditation agency, County operating policies and procedures and the policies and procedures of the employing agency. Work is reviewed by a Medical Director or physician through observation, conferences, reports and satisfactory fulfillment of patient needs.
ILLUSTRATIVE TASKS Tasks may vary based on the area of assignment.
• In collaboration with a physician, performs comprehensive physical examinations; orders, performs, and interprets diagnostic studies; and integrates findings according to protocols.
• May participate in or develop multi-disciplinary therapeutic plans and/or staffing according to protocols.
• At the direction of a physician, may elicit and record complete medical history of patients.
• May perform forensic medical examinations and/or medical consultations regarding children and adults who have been abused or sexually assaulted.
• Prepares written reports of medical evaluations and medical consultations. May prepare narrative, technical, or program reports using computer-based applications.
• May provide after hours and/or on-call coverage as required for the area of assignment.
• Participates in developing facility and treatment policies related to the delivery of patient care.
• Coordinates patient care with the Medical Director, the Director of Nursing, and nursing and clinical staff in keeping with protocols for the area of assignment.
• Counsels patient(s) and families in the promotion of preventive health care.
• Develops medical, nutrition, hygiene, staff, patient, and other education programs.
• Attends meetings, such as staff, performance improvement, and/or medical committee meetings as required for the area of assignment.
• May supervise clinical personnel in the absence of the site director as required for the area of assignment.
• Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
• Considerable knowledge of professional nursing and health service techniques, practices, and procedures.
• Considerable knowledge of medications, their proper dosage and expected results.
• Considerable knowledge of clinical and institutional sanitation and personal hygiene.
• Knowledge of current developments and practices in the field of medicine relevant to the area of work assignment.
• Knowledge of the diagnosis and treatment of a variety of diseases and injuries, of child abuse/sexual assault, of addictions and/or psychiatric disorders, or other, as required for the area of assignment.
• Knowledge of the diagnosis and treatment of substance use and mental health disorders (Focused requirement for Broward Addiction Recovery Center)
• Ability to perform diagnosis and general medical treatment and examinations.
• Ability to interpret results of medical examinations and tests.
• As required for the area of assignment, ability to be certified by the court as an expert witness and to testify in court proceedings for child abuse and/or rape.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and react correctly in emergency situations.
• Ability to apply knowledge of cultural competence in treating patients.
• Ability to use basic office computer-based applications.
• Skill in the use of general medical diagnostic and therapeutic equipment.
• Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County's Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or political affiliation.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING (Depending on the area of assignment)
Advance Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP):
Graduation from an accredited school of nursing and certified completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program; four (4) years of experience as a Registered Nurse Practitioner in general or family practice, pediatrics, OB-GYN, or other area appropriate to the area of assignment; or any equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
Physician Assistant (PA):
Graduation from an accredited school and certified completion of National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA), examination or other examination approved by the Florida Board; four (4) years of experience as a Certified Physician Assistant in general or family practice, substance use, mental health, or other area appropriate to the area of assignment; or any equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Licensed as a registered nurse in the State of Florida and certification as a Nurse Practitioner or registered as a certified Physician Assistant in the State of Florida in an area appropriate to the area of assignment.
Bargaining Unit: Unrepresented
FLSA Status: Exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Established/Revised: E 12/1977 R 08/2014