SUMMARY : Under general supervision, performs a variety of administrative support and/or supervisory/unit coordination work.
· Resolves a variety of problems/issues from staff and/or the public in order to maximize the efficiency/effectiveness of office operation and/or service provided.
· Interacts with the public, County staff/officials, business people, media personnel, officials/staff from other governmental entities, or vendors in order to obtain goods/services, assist them in using Department services, equipment, programs, resources, and/or facilities, collect fees, answer questions, or identify their service needs.
· Composes/prepares a variety of correspondence, notifications, applications, forms, reports, and related documents in order to communicate information/requests to staff, County/State/Federal officials, and/or the public.
· Develops/revises/implements policies/procedures for office/unit in order to facilitate efficient/effective unit operation, clarify operating policies/procedures for staff and ensure proper procedures are followed.
· Monitors budget expenditures in order to ensure funds are available in appropriate accounts to purchase required supplies, materials, and equipment.
· Instructs/trains County staff in a variety of policies/procedures/practices, and/or software/equipment use in order to ensure that employees complete assignments correctly/efficiently.
· Reviews time cards, leave requests, and related documents in order to ensure employees are paid correctly and leave balances are accurate.
· Creates a variety of databases/spreadsheets in order to capture/manipulate data and/or facilitate preparation of a variety of summary/statistical reports.
· Reviews unit paperwork (purchase orders, invoices, deposit slips, HR forms, cash reports, etc.) in order to ensure that paperwork is accurate, internal checks/balances, and provide documentation for audits.
· Updates/maintains a variety of databases/spreadsheets in order to facilitate information recording, storage, and retrieval and/or to track activity/volume of work.
· Proofreads/copy edits correspondence, contracts, printouts, summary reports, meeting agendas, or on screen data in order to identify data entry errors.
· Evaluates employee performance in order to identify training needs, determine performance strengths and weaknesses, and to ensure the job is being done correctly.
· Follows-up a variety of special assignments, projects, and related matters in order to ensure assignments, projects, etc. are completed in a timely manner and/or by established deadline.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE:
(Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Knowledge of procedures for operating various office equipment, including personal computers.
· Knowledge of English spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
· Knowledge of general budget preparation/projection procedures and practices.
· Ability to prioritize work activities for self and/or subordinates.
· Ability to work with limited supervision.
· Ability to multi-task.
· Ability to operate a personal computer to prepare a variety of correspondence, notices, schedules, reports, and related materials using a variety of software/applications.
· Ability to work effectively in high stress situations.
· Ability to use a variety of office software applications, including browsers, word processing, database, spreadsheet, and/or presentation applications to prepare a variety of documents, forms, and/or related materials.
· Ability to analyze problems and identify possible solutions.
· Ability to use a variety of spreadsheet/database applications to compile summary statistics.
· Ability to read and understand data/information from a variety of computer spreadsheets, printouts, or related documents.
· Ability to identify errors in account numbers, dates, amounts or related information.
· Ability to compose letters, memos, reports, and related documents covering a variety of routine work related topics.
· Ability to evaluate data/information and make decisions in accordance with established policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of BrowardCounty’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB:
(The Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of the general operating policies and procedures of the assigned BrowardCounty government organization.
· Knowledge of established customer service policies, procedures, and techniques.
· Ability to understand, follow, and explain a variety of BrowardCounty government organization policies and procedures.
· Ability to learn/perform a variety of work activities in assigned Department.
· Ability to enter data into a variety of spreadsheet/database applications.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Successful completion of job related tests. Three (3) years full time administrative support, office management, or closely related work desired.
Bargaining Unit: Government Supervisors Association – (Professional Unit)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec.Estab./Revised: E 05/1994 R 04/2012