SUMMARY : Under close to general supervision, performs a variety of technical level administrative support work.
· Interacts with the public, County staff/officials, media personnel, officials/staff from other governmental entities, or vendors in order to obtain goods/services, assist them in using Department services, equipment, programs, and/or facilities, collect fees, answer questions, or identify their service needs.
· Composes/prepares a variety of correspondence, notifications, forms, meeting minutes, and related documents in order to communicate information to staff and/or the public.
· Proofreads correspondence, printouts, summary reports, or on screen data in order to identify data entry errors.
· Updates/maintains a variety of databases/spreadsheets in order to facilitate information recording, storage, and retrieval and/or to track activity/volume of work.
· Maintains adequate amounts of a variety of supplies, materials, services, and equipment in order to ensure availability of items and/or services needed for efficient operation.
· Processes requests for Department materials/information received by phone, fax, email, or in person in order to provide requested materials/information.
· Archives/retrieves records/files in order to conserve space and ensure availability of older records.
· Files a variety of correspondence, documents, requests received, and other forms/materials in order to provide documentation of activities and comply with Department/State records management, and Department operating policies and procedures.
· Sets up a variety of files in order to facilitate case or work management and tracking and facilitate storage and retrieval of information.
· Processes supplies, materials, and equipment received in order to maintain inventory.
· Retrieves information/summary reports from a variety of databases/ spreadsheets in order to facilitate data/trend analysis, and/or provide data/information to staff, County officials, and/or the public.
· Follows-up a variety of special assignments, projects, and related matters in order to ensure assignments, projects, etc. are completed in a timely manner and/or by established deadline.
· Instructs staff in the use of a variety of office equipment and activities in order to ensure that employees use the equipment properly and complete assignments correctly.
· Creates a variety of databases/spreadsheets in order to capture/manipulate data and/or facilitate preparation of a variety of summary/statistical reports.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE : (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Knowledge of English spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
· Knowledge of procedures for operating various office equipment, including personal computers.
· Ability to operate a personal computer to prepare a variety of correspondence, notices, schedules, and related materials using a variety of software/applications.
· Ability to multi-task.
· Ability to work with limited supervision.
· Ability to prioritize work activities for self and/or subordinates.
· Ability to operate a variety of standard office equipment.
· Ability to compose letters, memos, and related documents covering a variety of routine work related topics.
· Ability to enter data into a variety of spreadsheet/database applications.
· Ability to work effectively in high stress situations.
· Ability to sort/file materials alphabetically, chronologically, and numerically.
· Ability to compare invoice to package contents to identify discrepancies.
· Ability to identify errors in account numbers, dates, amounts or related information.
- Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of BrowardCounty’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB (The Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of the general operating policies and procedures of the BrowardCounty government organization.
· Knowledge of established policies and guidelines regarding confidentiality of information.
· Knowledge of the chain of command in the BrowardCounty government organization.
· Knowledge of established customer service policies, procedures, and techniques.
· Ability to understand, follow, and explain a variety of BrowardCounty government organization policies and procedures.
· Ability to read and understand data/information from a variety of computer spreadsheets, printouts, or related documents.
· Ability to learn/perform a variety of work activities in assigned Department.
· Ability to use a variety of office software applications, including browsers, word processing, database, spreadsheet, and/or presentation applications to prepare a variety of documents, forms, and/or related materials.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Successful completion of job related tests. Three (3) years full time secretarial/administrative support work involving some spreadsheet/database maintenance desired.
Bargaining Unit: White Collar
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec. Estab./Revised: E 01/1991 R 03/2012