SUMMARY: Under general supervision, performs a variety of specialized office support work involving the use of a personal computer, a variety of software applications, and other office equipment.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: This classification is distinguished from an Office Support Clerk by the ability to work independently with limited supervision, and advanced level of work assignments.
· Interacts with public, County staff, or vendors in order to obtain goods/services, assist them in using agency or postal delivery services, equipment, programs, and/or facilities, collect fees, answer questions, identify their service needs or locate missing materials.
· Prepares a variety of correspondence, notifications, forms, meeting minutes, and related documents in order to communicate information to staff and/or the public.
· Processes requests for agency materials/information received by phone, fax, email, or in person in order to provide patrons with requested materials/information.
· Files a variety of correspondence, documents, requests received, and other forms/materials in order to provide documentation of activities and comply with agency/State records management, and agency operating policies and procedures.
· Maintains adequate amounts of a variety of supplies, materials and equipment in order to ensure availability of items needed for efficient operation.
· Reviews time cards, leave requests, and related documents in order to ensure employees are paid correctly and leave balances are accurate.
· Sets up a variety of manual and/or electronic files in order to facilitate case or work management and tracking and facilitate storage and retrieval of information.
· Distributes paychecks to employees in order to ensure each employee receives his/her pay check.
· Sorts mail ( U.S., foreign and interoffice) in order to determine which mail processor to use and/or direct it to the appropriate division/person.
· Proofreads printouts, summary reports, or on screen data in order to identify data entry errors.
· Opens files for new cases in order to facilitate case management and tracking.
· Retrieves information/summary reports from a variety of databases/spreadsheets in order to facilitate data/trend analysis, and/or provide data/information to staff, County officials, and/or the public .
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE : (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job class.)
· Knowledge of procedures for operating various office equipment, including personal computers.
· Knowledge of standard formats used for a variety of correspondence, notices, schedules, and related materials.
· Knowledge of English spelling and grammar.
· Ability to operate a personal computer to prepare a variety of correspondence, notices, schedules, and related materials and/or record hearings using a variety of software/applications.
· Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and/or division.
· Ability to read names, account numbers, amounts and related information on a variety of documents.
· Ability to sort/file materials alphabetically, chronologically, and numerically.
· Ability to keyboard.
· Ability to prioritize work activities.
· Ability to work effectively in high stress situations.
· Ability to operate a variety of standard office equipment.
· Ability to use a variety of office software applications, including browsers, word processing, database, spreadsheet, and/or presentation applications to prepare a variety of documents, forms, and/or related materials.
· Ability to compose letters, memos, and related documents covering a variety of routine work related topics.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County = s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
· Skill in entering data into computer with less than 5% error rate.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire .)
· Knowledge of the general operating policies and procedures of the assigned agency.
· Knowledge of types and locations of various materials and services within the assigned agency or facility.
· Knowledge of policies and procedures for processing incoming/outgoing inter-office mail.
· Knowledge of established customer service policies, procedures, and techniques.
· Knowledge of procedures for ordering supplies, equipment, and materials.
· Ability to understand, follow, and explain a variety of County/agency policies and procedures.
· Ability to explain/demonstrate procedures for performing a variety of work activities.
· Ability to learn/perform a variety of work activities in assigned agency.
· Ability to operate a multi-line phone console.
· Ability to develop/revise operating procedures for a variety of policies.
· Skill in verifying that a variety of forms/documents received have necessary information in appropriate locations with less than 5% error rate.
· Skill in entering daily, weekly and monthly totals into log sheets or computer program with no errors.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Successful completion of job related tests. Two (2) years of general office support work desired.
Bargaining Unit: White Collar
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Class Spec Established/Revised: 06/2004 03/2012