NATURE OF WORK
This is managerial, administrative and technical work in the planning, development and implementation of a variety of desktop support services programs and projects.
Work involves researching current information system problem resolution trends and practices to develop hardware, software and peripheral standards and provide strategic direction for Desktop Services. Duties include managing the Desktop Support Services section which provides field problem resolution support for employees experiencing technical hardware and software difficulties. Work requires supervising professional and technical personnel, and interacting with multiple vendors to develop and manage contracts related to desktop hardware and software acquisition. Work is reviewed by an administrative superior through conferences and evaluation of program achievements.
· Provides technical leadership in determining industry best practices and trends in assigned area, and setting standards for enterprise-wide software, desktop hardware, software, peripherals and tools.
· Develops standards and language for Desktop hardware and software bids, provides bid evaluation and manages contracts to the best interest of BrowardCounty.
· Sets County wide standards for Desktop hardware, software, peripherals, tools and enterprise wide software.
· Provides testing and images for Desktops and works with vendors to deliver all Desktops in a timely manner as prescribed by contract.
· Plans and manages the annual County-wide PC Replacement Program.
· Provides statistical and other reports to track performance and operational issues.
· Develops operational procedures and policies for area of control.
· Attends meetings and conferences and represents the agency on technical applications and development issues.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
· Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of desktop support services and the methodologies to resolve problems within the data processing/office automation environment.
· Considerable knowledge of field desktop and end user support strategies to resolve hardware, software, or peripheral equipment problems.
· Considerable knowledge of the current trends and developments in the fields of information system technology.
· Considerable knowledge of the principles of supervision, organization and administration.
· Ability to plan, coordinate and direct the work of subordinates involved in information systems problem resolution.
· Ability to express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of BrowardCounty's Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds regardless of race, religion, age, sex, disability, political affiliation or sexual orientation.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in computer science, business administration, or related field; four (4) years experience in developing, planning, managing and assessing information system problem resolution programs within desktop support services including two (2) years experience in the administrative and supervisory aspects of the work; or any equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
Bargaining Unit: Unrepresented
FLSA Status: Exempt
Code of Ethics
Class Spec. Estab ./Revised: E6/96 R8/06