Before the Event
(See Also Elevators)
Following are tips hotel and motel managers can use to prepare their facilities.
Check all equipment for readiness: generators, fire extinguishers, first aid kits, tools, etc.
- Install shutters: check fasteners to make sure they fit snug against the wall.
- Remove outdoor furniture, container plants and decorative objects from patios, terraces, verandas and porches, and store them inside so they will not become flying missiles.
- Check and close all faucets.
- Unplug all electrical appliances from wall outlets.
- Disconnect television antennas or cable boxes from television sets.
- Close and lock all windows.
- Draw blinds, shades and/or draperies.
- Place folded towels on the window sills to absorb leaking water.
- Wedge patio doors so they cannot be torn off.
- Allow employees enough time to prepare their own homes for the approaching storm.
Updated May 2013