Broward County's Pioneers for 2018 were honored at the 44th Annual Pioneer Day on Saturday, May 12th at Davie Town Hall located at 6591 Orange Drive, Davie, FL.
Celebrating the achievements of Broward County's Pioneers - the fearless men and women who have furthered the diversity and cultural vibrancy of their local communities - the 44th Annual Pioneer Day took take part in a free reception at noon and recognition ceremony at 1PM.
Broward's 2018 Pioneers - each nominated by local historical societies and municipalities - join the distinguished list of 1,500 other community leaders who have been honored since 1972.
The event was presented by the Broward County Historic Preservation Board, in partnership with the Town of Davie and Broward's Cultural Division. All photos by Downtown Photo.
1. Mary Boast - City of Coral Springs
2. Beverly "Jill" Jean Smith Pittillo - Old Davie School
3. Irwin Harlem - City of Sunrise (unable to attend)
4. Pastor Timothy J. Hartner - City of Weston
5. Jean Cheany Collins - Broward Trust
6. Rosario "Roy" Vizzini - City of Cooper City
7. Jeanette Marie Washington - City of Dania Beach
8. Frank Coleman - City of Lauderdale Lakes
9. Diane Wendt - City of Oakland Park
10. Susie Jones Wells - City of West Park
11. Alyce Schweyer Culpepper - Plantation Historical Society
12. Adelaide Judy Austin - The Genealogical Society of Broward County
13. Newell Hollingsworth - Town of Southwest Ranches
14. William Gundlach - City of Fort Lauderdale
16. Israel Sweig - City of Margate
17. Arlene Lancaster - Wilton Manors Historical Society
18. Mayor Lamar Fisher - Pompano Beach Historical Society
2018 Broward County Historic Preservation Board Topical Awards:
Judge Clayton Nance Award - Old Davie School