This unique initiative matches Broward County landlords who have homes to rent, with individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness. Rent is guaranteed by local government, state and federally funded programs and is implemented locally through Broward Partnership for the Homeless, Broward Outreach Center and members of the Broward County Homeless Initiative Partnership.
“With the Landlord Recruitment Initiative, I don’t have to worry about the quality of my tenant, or if rent will get paid."
Homelessness in Broward County
In 2005, the Broward County Commission and Human Services Department, as the lead agency of the Continuum of Care Board, created a 10-year plan to end homelessness in our community. In 2013, the plan, “A Way Home: Broward County’s Ten-Year Plan to End Homelessness” was updated to provide a framework for ending homelessness and specific timelines for ending veteran homelessness (by 2016) and chronic homelessness (by 2017).
A partnership of local governments and community organizations, known as the Homeless Continuum of Care, was established in 1997. Broward County is on track to meet its 2016 and 2017 goals, but in spite of our community’s best efforts, homelessness is still an unfortunate reality for more than 2,302 individuals and families.*
A New Perspective
A new philosophy called “Housing First” is helping change the way communities address issues of homelessness. It aims to first place individuals and families experiencing homelessness in stable housing, then address other needs that help them achieve independence and self-sufficiency.
This approach has proved successful in other states, such as New York, California, Arizona and Utah, and we should experience similar success in Broward County, Florida.
Landlord Recruitment Initiative
If you are a landlord with properties to rent, you are invited to participate in the Landlord Recruitment Initiative.
- As a landlord, you will receive a fair and reasonable rent.
- Security deposit and last month’s rent are paid up front.
- Timely rent payments are guaranteed.
- Tenants are pre-screened and must demonstrate a commitment to achieving self-sufficiency.
- Families and veterans are pre-qualified.
- Case managers are available to assist landlords and tenants.
Sign Up Today in two easy steps:
- Register as a Community Pillar:
- Contact one of the Housing Navigators below:
Broward Outreach Center
(954) 926-7417 firstname.lastname@example.org
(954) 779-3990 email@example.com
Homeless Initiative Partnership
(954) 357-6101 HomelessInitiativePartnership@broward.org
For more information about the Zillow Community Pillar:
*Source: January 2016 Broward County Homeless Initiative Partnership Point-In-Time Count of homeless persons.