Information and tips to help you live healthier and happier
How Happy Couples Keep Intimacy Alive
How do happy couples keep their romantic feelings alive? Like most good things in life, it requires desire and effort. The following tips can help you and your partner work together to maintain or rekindle your romantic edge:
1. Communicate. Communication is key to staying connected. It is important that you and your partner communicate your thoughts, plans, ideas and opinions on a consistent basis. Equally important is communicating your feelings – the joys, sorrows or frustrations we all experience.
2. Fight fair. Conflicts and disagreements are inevitable. Learn how to solve problems without attacking, blaming or put-downs. It's hard to maintain romantic feelings if you are constantly cutting each other down. Happy couples know how to focus on the issue at hand, rather than throwing destructive, verbal punches.
3. Spend time together. With work, children and other responsibilities, it's easy for your relationship to get pushed aside. Taking the initiative to schedule time for just you and your spouse is an important way to keep intimacy alive and well. Find shared activities you both enjoy.
4. Do nice things for each other. In successful relationships, both partners find small ways to make loving gestures on a regular basis.
5. Look for and affirm the good. Often what we focus on we get more of. If your main focus is what you do not like about your partner that is what you will see and notice. Change your viewpoint and change your relationship. Look for the positive things you like and express appreciation and it will make a difference.
6. Speak your partner's love language. Sharing affection keeps relationships healthy. We all have different ways of expressing love. It may be by spending quality time together, doing acts of service, affirmations, sexual expression and touch. If your love language is different from your partner's, learn what his/her language is and speak it. This will leave you both feeling more loved and add to your closeness.
Your EAP is here to help: If you are concerned about a particularly difficult marital or relationship issue, contact your Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for FREE and CONFIDENTIAL counseling, referrals or information. We're here to help you.
Employee Assistance Program Services
The Broward County Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available to all Broward County Government employees and their families to assist with most personal problems affecting the quality of life at home or on the job at no charge. Participation in the program is voluntary and completely confidential. Licensed professionals can assist you with:
- Family problems
- Work conflicts
- Grief and loss
- Financial problems
- Substance abuse
Call for a free and confidential appointment or more information at 954-357-5600 or email at email@example.com. Additional information on our services is also available at Broward.org/HumanResources/EAP.
Copyright © 2015 Healthy Exchange. This newsletter is not intended to provide medical advice on personal wellness matters, which should be obtained directly from your physician.