SUMMARY : Under general supervision, operates a variety of light to medium construction equipment to complete a variety of construction/maintenance related work.
· Performs a variety of required equipment checks and minor maintenance in order to comply with Federal, State, and County regulations, ensure equipment is in safe operating condition, and maximize service life of the equipment.
· Hauls a variety of materials to/from the job site in order to facilitate completing assigned project.
· Interacts with the public in order to answer questions or identify their service needs.
· Hauls a variety of construction equipment to and from the job site in order to facilitate completing assigned project.
· Maintains a variety of landscape and special habitat areas in order to ensure safety of the public and maintain appropriate appearance of parks and other public areas.
· Piles disposed materials in order to prevent contamination, maximize space utilization, prevent fires, and facilitate safe landfill operation.
· Checks for hazardous materials in order to ensure they are not mixed with other materials and contaminate the site.
· Maintains a variety of asphalt street/road surfaces in order to maintain streets and roads in safe driving condition.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE:
(Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Knowledge of established safety procedures for operating a variety of light to medium construction equipment.
· Knowledge of operating principles and procedures for a variety of light to medium construction equipment.
· Knowledge of the capabilities and use of a variety of light to medium construction equipment.
· Knowledge of procedures and practices for handling a variety of construction materials.
· Knowledge of basic mathematics, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and geometry.
· Ability to read, understand, and follow technical instructions regarding equipment operation, safety, and material handling.
· Ability to use mirrors and related safety procedures to back-up a variety of equipment and truck/trailer combinations.
· Ability to learn/perform a variety of work activities associated with operating a variety of construction equipment and completing construction/maintenance projects.
· Ability to identify operating problems with a variety of light to heavy construction equipment, including by listening to the equipment run.
· Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. without assistance.
· Ability to calculate distance, volume, and angles using addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and geometry.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County = s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB:
(The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of procedures for performing safety/maintenance checks on a variety of light to medium construction equipment.
· Knowledge of established customer service policies, procedures, and techniques.
· Knowledge of safe operating procedures for a variety of hand and power tools.
· Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Administration and related safety procedures and regulations for completing a variety of construction and/or maintenance projects.
· Ability to operate a variety of light to medium construction equipment to complete projects within approved tolerances.
· Ability to multi-task.
· Ability to plan and organize work projects.
· Ability to operate radio communications equipment.
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Successful completion of job related tests. One (1) year experience of full time construction/maintenance work involving the operation of light to medium equipment desired.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT:
Must possess a valid Florida Class B Commercial Driver = s License.
Bargaining Unit: Blue Collar
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec. Estab/Revised: E 10/1976 R 04/2012