SUMMARY : Under general to limited supervision, performs a variety of landscape maintenance and related work in an assigned area(s).
· Maintains a variety of park and landscape areas in order to provide patrons with a safe, pleasant, beautiful recreation area.
· Maintains a variety of landscape maintenance related equipment in order to ensure that the equipment operates safely and appropriately when needed, extend the useful life of the equipment, minimize down time, and minimize major repair/replacement costs.
· Interacts with the public and/or other County employees in order to give directions/information, coordinate work activities/assignments, identify their service needs, and/or ensure the safety of patrons.
· Maintains irrigation systems in order to ensure landscape/park areas are irrigated properly and minimize major repair/replacement costs.
· Sets up/takes down temporary facilities for special activities/events in order to provide a safe, comfortable location for special events/activities.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Knowledge of established safety procedures for operating a variety of landscape maintenance related equipment.
· Knowledge of safety procedures for working in areas accessible to the public.
· Knowledge of established procedures for trimming a variety of trees, shrubs, and bushes.
· Knowledge types of plants, trees, bushes, turfs, etc. used for a variety of general and specialized landscaping projects.
· Knowledge of general landscape maintenance procedures.
· Knowledge of irrigation needs of a variety of plants, turfs, trees, bushes, etc.
· Knowledge of basic mathematics, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
· Ability to operate a variety of tools/equipment associated with performing a variety of landscape maintenance work.
· Ability to read, understand, and follow instructions/guidelines associated with a variety of landscape maintenance work.
· Ability to work outdoors in a variety of temperature/weather conditions.
· Ability to learn to perform a variety of work activities associated with landscape maintenance work.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of BrowardCounty’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of safety procedures for mixing/applying a variety of pesticides and fertilizers.
· Ability to work with limited supervision.
· Ability to lift, carry, push, and/or pull up to 50 lbs. without assistance.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Successful completion of job related tests. One (1) year experience in landscape maintenance or closely related work desired.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT:
Possession of a valid Florida driver’s license.
Bargaining Unit: Blue Collar
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec. Estab/Revised: E 10/1976 R 04/2012