SUMMARY : Under general supervision, operates a commercial scale and collects related user fees at a County landfill facility.
· Calculates landfill use fees in order to determine amount for customer to pay.
· Processes money received in order to account for landfill use fees.
· Calculates waste volumes in order to ensure that appropriate landfill fees are charged.
· Inspects incoming loads of waste in order to ensure that hazardous materials are not present and/or to identify the category/type of material for billing.
· Balances cash drawer in order to ensure money (bills, coins and checks) in drawer matches funds processed.
· Prepares bank deposits in order to ensure funds go into appropriate County bank account by filling out deposit slip and ensuring coins and bills match deposit amounts.
· Performs minor maintenance/repairs on a variety of office equipment, including copiers, computers, and related equipment.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE: (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Knowledge of money counting procedures.
· Knowledge of minor office equipment maintenance/repair procedures and techniques.
· Ability to operate a calculator to calculate trash volumes.
· Ability to count/tabulate coins and bills to determine cash totals and make change.
· Ability to calculate net weight from scale ticket to determine fee.
· Ability to perform basic calculations involving multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction.
· Ability to identify errors in account numbers, dates, amounts or related information.
· Ability to understand and follow operational policies and procedures.
· Ability to read and follow written instructions/procedures for performing minor office equipment maintenance and repair.
· Ability to determine when maintenance/repair requires an experienced technician.
- Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County ’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of Department polices and procedures for handling cash transactions.
· Knowledge of procedures for operating a commercial scale.
· Knowledge of materials classified as hazardous for landfill disposal.
· Knowledge of procedures for preparing deposit slips.
· Knowledge of information to be entered into the computer.
· Knowledge of landfill use rates for various categories of materials.
· Knowledge of account and bank codes used in department.
· Knowledge of types and locations of various services available within the assigned Department or facility.
· Knowledge of established customer service policies, procedures, and techniques.
· Knowledge of materials comprising the general landfill billing categories.
· Ability to operate a commercial scale.
· Ability to explain unit operating policies and procedures to customers.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE : Successful completion of job related tests. One (1) year of cashier or closely related work desired.
Bargaining Unit: Blue Collar
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec. Estab./Revised: E 10/1976 R 06/2004