NATURE OF WORK
This is highly skilled work in the operation of a thermoplastic longline pavement marking truck.
Work involves responsibility for field supervision of work crews and participation in the installation of thermoplastic long lines and daily maintenance of thermoplastic striping equipment. Work requires a high degree of skill in installation and proper application of hot thermoplastic pavement markings.
Supervision is received from a superior who randomly inspects work for adherence to traffic engineering and safety standards, and who reviews completed work order schedules.
This classification is distinguished from a Traffic Control Worker II by the type of specialized equipment utilized, the degree of skill in maintenance and operation of this equipment and the greater experience requirements.
- Assigns work and participates in the installation and maintenance of pavement markings.
- Operates and manages pavement marking truck used in the installation of thermoplastic longlines in conformance with quantity and quality and safety standards and traffic engineering specifications.
- Provides training to subordinates on the safe operation of specialized equipment. Obtains reports of and maintains records related to completed work, and provides technical advice and assistance on difficult or unusual circumstances.
- Performs daily vehicle and equipment maintenance checks. Records and analyzes information on specialized vehicle checklist, including status of lubricants, cooling systems, hydraulic systems, electrical systems, temperature gauges, pressure gauges, etc. Continuously monitors equipment during operation. Makes minor adjustments and reports all malfunctions to supervisor. Assists supervisor in coordinating vehicle preventive maintenance schedules.
- Acts as lead person responsible for crew and public safety, supervises the work of the longline team.
- Verifies that quantity and quality standards are maintained.
- Able to operate the reflectometer.
- Operates and performs basic maintenance and repairs on all paint stripers, kettles and other pavement marking equipment.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of the practices, methods and operations, maintenance, and materials associated with the performance of a thermoplastic longline truck and other pavement marking equipment.
· Knowledge of mathematics, basic algebra.
- Knowledge of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, and traffic engineering standards.
- Skill in identifying discrepancies between work order or blueprint dimensions and actual road dimensions.
- Ability to apply appropriate occupational safety standards hazards and precautions in the operation of longline installation work.
- Ability to apply physical strength and agility to perform assigned tasks.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of subordinate employees in a manner conducive to full performance and high morale.
- Ability to maintain records, and prepare and submit reports.
- Ability to read blue prints and work orders that describe the tasks to be performed.
- Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of BrowardCounty’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Graduation from high school, four (4) years experience in the application of pavement markings; or any equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT
Possession of a valid Florida Class B or higher Commercial Drivers License with airbrakes and the ability to obtain a Forklift operation certification within six (6) months of employment.
Bargaining Unit: Blue Collar
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Work Locations: Streets & Highways, Traffic Engineering
Class Spec. Estab ./Revised: E 10/2004