SUMMARY: Under general supervision, performs specialized technical work and limited administrative duties in the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) program.
· Participates in collection events, helps remove materials from vehicles, and segregates/processes materials.
· Assists in determining facility and equipment needs, maintains supply inventories, and purchases items as required.
· Processes and prepares waste for shipment per regulatory guidelines.
· Operates equipment including forklift, straight truck and materials handling tools in the operation and maintenance of collection facilities.
· Provides information and guidance to the public on the proper management of hazardous wastes.
· Performs facility inspections, reviews safety equipment, and performs routine facility maintenance.
· Performs data management functions and produces statistical reports.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE : (Applicants are expected possess the required Knowledge’s, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Knowledge of standard terminology and practices in handling hazardous materials.
· Knowledge of basic chemistry and chemical classes.
· Knowledge of environmental protection and safety principles.
· Ability to conduct presentations in promotional exercises.
· Ability to identify and classify chemicals and process and package them in accordance with regulatory guidelines.
· Ability to move containers and lift items up to 50 pounds.
· Ability to perform strenuous work while wearing personal protective equipment such as a respirator.
· Ability to operate equipment such as a forklift, straight truck, and trailered equipment.
· Ability to operate a personal computer and related business software applications.
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County = s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies .
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of BrowardCounty hazardous waste collection and disposal programs and procedures.
· Knowledge of regulatory requirements used in the collection, transportation and disposal of hazardous wastes.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from high school; two (2) years of experience in hazardous wastes or related environmental discipline; or any equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s license, and a Class "B" Commercial Driver's License with air brake and hazardous materials endorsements.
Bargaining Unit: Unrepresented
Code of Ethics Certification: No
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Class Spec: E 04/2000 R 10/13