NATURE OF WORK
This is professional and supervisory work in surveying and mapping encompassing the surveying, construction and mapping of County public works projects and facilities.
Work involves the application of surveying principles and practices to engineering projects of a public works nature. Work assignments include the supervision of subordinate engineering and technical personnel engaged in surveying and mapping of public works improvements such as streets, highways, bridges, sewers, water distribution projects and public lands. Major technical or policy issues are discussed with a superior before taking action, but latitude is allowed for independent judgment in routine matters. Performance is reviewed periodically through conferences and written reports.
- Provides technical support and instructs survey party chiefs in acquiring conventional and Global Positioning System (G.P.S.) field survey data for major street projects, sanitary and storm sewer systems, water treatment and water distribution structures and systems, bridges, building construction projects and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) mapping projects.
- Provides technical support and instructs engineering personnel in the preparation and maintenance of digital maps and information technology databases utilized for the establishment of Geographic Information Systems.
- Advises on construction specifications regarding the adaptability of plans and designs to particular field conditions.
- Advises County agencies on survey related matters.
- Maintains and develops digital maps and provides information regarding maps and survey data to private organizations and the general public.
- Inspects and supervises the inspection of construction projects while in progress for adherence to plans and specifications.
- Reviews plats for conformance to Florida statutes and the BrowardCounty land development code.
- Prepares survey legal descriptions and survey sketches
- Supervises subordinate engineering and technical personnel and participates in performing professional surveying and mapping work.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of surveying and mapping as applied to engineering, construction, as-built, route, and right of way surveying.
- Considerable knowledge of the use, troubleshooting and maintenance of surveying instruments including conventional instruments, Total Station/ electronic data collection field to finish solutions and G.P.S. equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of the use of computers and computer peripherals.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles of supervision, organization, and administration.
- Knowledge of G.P.S. surveying and/or GIS mapping ..
- Ability to utilize Computer-Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) software to create digital maps and engineering plans.
- Ability to research and analyze survey reference materials such as public records, engineering plans, right of way maps, and legal descriptions.
- Ability to analyze survey reference materials in a CADD environment to produce survey solutions.
- Ability to assign and supervise the work of subordinates.
- Ability to express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of BrowardCounty’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Graduation from high school supplemented by college level course work in surveying and mapping, civil engineering or related field; ten (10) years experience in surveying and mapping related work that includes two (2) years experience in the supervisory aspects of the work; or any equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
Graduation from a four year accredited college program in surveying and mapping or related field, six (6) years experience in surveying and mapping related work that includes two (2) years experience in the supervisory aspects of the work, or any equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT
Certification as a Professional Surveyor and Mapper in the State of Florida.
Bargaining Unit: Government Supervisors Association –
FLSA Status: Exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Work Locations: Engineering
Class Spec. Estab ./Revised: E10/1976 R01/2005