SUMMARY : Under close to general supervision, receives and processes monies received for a variety of County fees.
· Balances cash drawer in order to ensure money (bills, coins and checks) in drawer matches funds processed.
· Prepares bank deposits in order to ensure money goes into appropriate County bank account.
· Processes money received, issues receipts and provides change in order to account for child support/alimony, park user fees, parking fees, bus fares and passes.
· Tracks funds received on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis in order to record/document activity.
· Posts funds received in order to credit the proper account for disbursement.
· Resolves day-to-day operational problems/issues in order to facilitate effective/efficient operation of the unit.
· Interacts with customers and employees in order to resolve customer complaints/issues and/or facilitate efficient/effective unit operations.
· May assist in training new employees regarding operating polices and procedures.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE : (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job class.)
· Knowledge of money counting procedures.
· Knowledge of data needed on checks.
· Ability to count/tabulate coins and bills to determine cash totals and make change.
· Ability to manually count coins not processed by coin counting/sorting machine.
· Ability to perform basic calculations involving multiplication and addition.
· Ability to operate a calculator to tabulate check totals.
· Ability to read names, account numbers, amounts and related information on checks.
· Ability to identify errors in account numbers, dates, amounts or related information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County = s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
· Skill in counting/tabulating coins, bills, and checks with less than 5% error rate.
· Skill in verifying that checks received have necessary information in appropriate locations with less than 5% error rate.
· Skill in entering daily, weekly and monthly totals into log sheets or computer program with no errors.
· Skill in transferring deposit slip number to log sheet with no errors.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job class, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of department cash handling policies and procedures.
· Knowledge of procedures for preparing deposit slip.
· Ability to interpret operational policies and procedures.
· Ability to explain unit operating policies and procedures to employees and customers.
· Ability to demonstrate the correct, safe operation of equipment/machines used.
· Ability to read and follow written instructions/procedures for performing minor equipment maintenance and repair.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE : Successful completion of job related tests. Two (2) years of experience in cashier or related work desired.
Bargaining Unit: White Collar
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Class Spec Established/Revised: E6/04 R 03/12