SUMMARY: Under general supervision, performs field work in the development and promotion of neighborhood solid waste and recycling collection programs.
· Maintains direct, one-on-one citizen communication and assistance through education and on-site instruction to area residents on proper procedures for garbage, bulky waste and recycling collection.
· Educates civic associations and residents through presentations at public meetings and special events.
· Participates in various programs, such as Adopt-A-Street events, Community Cleanups, Waterway Cleanups and other divisional programs/projects.
· Monitors the assigned service area’s solid waste and recycling contracts for compliance by franchise haulers.
· Prepares field activity reports and other reports and forms associated with waste audit activities.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE: (Applicants are expected possess the required Knowledge’s, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Some knowledge of the principles and practices of public communication and education.
· Ability to understand the standard terminology, techniques, and practices of residential garbage, bulk waste and recycling collection programs, and lot clearing and swale programs.
· Ability to engage in field work for extended periods and occasionally under adverse weather conditions as necessitated by work assignments.
· Ability to prepare concise and accurate written reports.
· Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
· Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Ability to read maps.
· Ability to operate a personal computer.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of BrowardCounty's Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of BrowardCounty solid waste compliance ordinances and regulations.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: G raduation from high school, supplemented by course work in business or public administration, environmental science or related field; six (6) months experience in solid waste/recycling programs or public contact; or any equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT : Possession of a valid Florida Driver's License.
Bargaining Unit: Unrepresented
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Class Spec Estab/ Revised
E04/96 Rev 07/2004