The ABCs of Broward County Employment
Benefit-eligible employees whose positions are not covered by a collective bargaining agreement accrue annual leave as shown below:
|Less than 5 years
||80 hours per year|
|5 to 10 years
||120 hours per year|
|10 + years
||160 hours per year|
The County offers High Deductible Health Plans and Consumer-Driven Health Plans through Humana Inc. Some of the highlights are:
High Deductible Health Plan
• A lower payroll deduction, higher deductible
• A County-funded Health Savings Account (HSA) based on tier of coverage
• Preventative health and pharmacy services provided at no cost
• All other health and pharmacy services are subject to the annual deductible based on tier of coverage, and when met, 30% coinsurance
Consumer-Driven Health Plans
- Two plans to choose from with varying payroll deductions and deductibles
- A County-funded Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) based on tier of coverage
- Preventative health services provided at no cost
- Copays for some office-based services; all other health services subject to the annual deductible, and when met, coinsurance based on plan selection
- Copays for pharmacy services
All of the Health Plans
- The County self-insures the pharmacy plan through Catamaran/Optum
- All Health Plans are Open Access; requiring no referral to see a specialist
- The County provides coverage for Domestic Partners (same and opposite sex) and children of Domestic Partners when Domestic Partnership is registered in Broward County (Special tax rules apply)
- The County recognizes same-sex marriages for all benefits other than the Florida Retirement System (FRS)
- Coverage for Over Age Dependents (aged 26-30) is provided (Special tax rules apply)
- Coverage is effective on the first of the month following 60 days in a benefit-eligible position
Please see a complete list of the Health Plans at Broward.org/Benefits.
The County offers two dental plans; a DHMO plan through Humana/CompBenefits and Humana PPO.
- Humana/CompBenefits DHMO Dental Plan
- Humana PPO
The County offers a comprehensive vision plan through UnitedHealthcare. Please visit UnitedHealthcare for more details.
You can visit Broward.org/Benefits for additional information on the County’s benefits.
Bus passes at discounted rates are available on a pre-tax basis through payroll deductions.
With approximately 60 agencies and over 5,000 employees working in numerous work sites, exciting career opportunities are available in diverse areas.
All County employees and their family members are eligible for membership in the state-chartered WE Florida Financial credit union.
This is also known as a "457 plan" and it can reduce your taxes each pay period, through income deferral, and provides future benefits for retirement. The County has three providers; in alphabetical order they are: ICMA Retirement Corporation, MetLife (formerly Security First), and Nationwide Retirement Solutions (formerly PEBSCO).
The County sponsors a variety of classes to address the professional growth needs of employees and the developmental needs of the organization through classroom and electronic delivery.
Flexible Spending Accounts
A Medical Expense and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts allow benefit-eligible employees who are not enrolled in the High Deductible Health Plan to be reimbursed for qualified medical and/or child care expenses on a pre-tax basis; saving FICA and income taxes.
Florida Retirement System
Free parking is located in the two garages adjacent to the Government Center and arrangements are made for employees that work at other County locations.
Ten (10) national holidays and two (2) personal days.
Legal insurance provides members with legal services through an in-network attorney or reimbursement when using a non-network attorney (up to plan limits). A wide array of legal services are available within this plan, including: divorce, child support and custody, traffic violations, debt, law suits and much more.
|Basic Life Insurance
||$25,000 of group term life insurance FREE. |
|Employee Optional Life Insurance
||Up to $150,000 is available in $25,000 increments.|
|Dependent and Spouse/Domestic Partner Life Insurance
||Employees who elect at least $25,000 of employee optional life insurance coverage may purchase group term life insurance coverage on their eligible dependents, spouse/domestic partner or dependent children of their spouse/domestic partner.|
Long Term Care Insurance
Long Term Care - coverage assists with the cost of providing help for people who can no longer care for themselves for reasons covered by the plan.
Long Term Disability
Long Term Disability - insurance provides disability income for covered individuals to assure regular income if you cannot work for an extended period of time because of a covered illness or injury.
Personal Income Protection
A variety of Personal Income Protection Plans are offered through AllState.
Newly promoted, first time supervisors or those new to supervision in Broward County are required to successfully complete a training program that addresses both the behavioral and technical skills necessary to be an effective supervisor.
Prescription Drug Coverage
Prescription benefits are provided as a part of the Health insurance coverage under the County’s self-insured pharmacy plan through Catamaran. Member cost is based on a copay for the Consumer-Driven Health plans and deductible and coinsurance for the High Deductible Health Plan. For more information see Broward.org/Benefits.
- Eight (8) hours accrued every month.
- If the employee does not use any sick leave over thirteen (13) consecutive pay periods, s/he will accrue an extra day or eight (8) hours of annual leave.
- Employees may convert qualified sick leave hours into annual leave, usually on a two-to-one ratio, once annually.
Tri-Rail Passes Zoned Fares
Tri-Rail's Employer Discount Program allows employees to pay for monthly Tri-Rail passes through pre-tax payroll deductions.
Broward County’s Tuition Reimbursement Program provides opportunities for employees to enhance their knowledge, skills, and abilities through undergraduate, graduate, and doctorate courses and/or coursework in vocational or technical institutions in the State of Florida. The program reimburses the cost of eligible tuition for courses related to an employee’s official duties. Some restrictions apply.
|New Year's Day - January 1st|
|Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - 3rd Monday in January|
|Memorial Day - Last Monday in May|
|Independence Day - July 4th|
|Labor Day - 1st Monday in September|
|Veteran's Day - November 11th|
|Thanksgiving Day - 4th Thursday in November|
|Day After Thanksgiving - 4th Friday in November|
|Christmas Day - December 25th|
The County is committed to encouraging healthier lifestyles by providing educational and preventative physical, emotional, and financial information to all of our employees through various on-site and online wellness programs. For more information, please visit Broward.org/Benefits/Wellbeing.
Required Plug-ins: Adobe® Reader®